Spearfishing to be Banned at Grays Reef Marine Sanctuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brailediver

Registered
Reaction score
Spearfishing has been singled out to be banned from Grays.

"Spearfishing is an activity which involves using spearguns, including such devices known as Hawaiian slings, pole spears, pneumatic and spring-loaded spearguns, bows and arrows, bang sticks, or any similar device designed to harvest fish. Powerheads are attachments to spearfishing gear that allow the use of ammunition cartridges to harvest fish.

Although the use of powerheads is prohibited at GrayùÔ Reef, powerhead spear tips and spent shells found in the sanctuary indicate that this gear has been used since the ban went into place. Powerheads are so closely associated with spearguns that it is difficult to determine from a distance whether a speargun has a powerhead. Because the powerhead may be removed without detection upon approach by enforcement, there may be difficulties proving that a speargun with a powerhead was in the sanctuary. In addition, proof of powerhead use is not self-evident from the fish itself, which may require forensic testing to definitively determine the method of injury or harvest for evidentiary purposes. Law enforcement officials have expressed the need to prohibit the use of all spearguns in order to effectively ban powerheads in the sanctuary.

Spearfishing is a highly efficient harvesting method that selectively targets larger fish relative to other fishing gears and can significantly alter abundance and size structure of targeted species toward fewer and smaller fish. Some fish populations, such as red snapper, that are present within GrayùÔ Reef NMS are regionally overfished, approaching overfished status and/or undergoing overfishing."

5 spent shells were found over the last three years. No spearfishing activity was recorded during the 3 year period. Spearing is being singled out now, fishing will be next!
SEND YOUR COMMENT NOW!!
Regulations.gov

Typical government style knee jerk reaction. Instead of "let's think about this and come up with a compromised solution which benefits all parties involved" they go for "COMPLETE AND TOTAL BAN! WE MUST STOP THE MASS KILLING NOW!" I've sent my comment explaining the asinine nature of this proposal. I hope others will as well. I just wish I'd known about this sooner. Time is running short on this.

I always thought that the name Marine Sanctuary said it all, its a sanctuary for marine life to live in safety! If fishing of any sort is allowed then its not a sanctuary!
Its sad to me when such discussions have to be even mentioned!

I always thought that the name Marine Sanctuary said it all, its a sanctuary for marine life to live in safety! If fishing of any sort is allowed then its not a sanctuary!
Its sad to me when such discussions have to be even mentioned!

Let's take the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS) for example. This is a large body of water (and submerged land) which has a set of regulations which govern the entire area, and smaller, individual areas with differing regulations, such as no taking of any kind.

I was only attempting to make the point that often times, but not always, the typical government reaction is to shut the valve completely, without much forethought or consideration for all of the variables involved in such a decision.

Matteo----I agree with you totally and have sent my thoughts on the matter to the appropriate officials involved. The intent, whether spoken at this stage or not, is to eventually ban all harvesting of marine life in the sanctuary(IMHO). This is only the first step, and once this is finally accomplished, they will move on. Maybe next they will try to ban spearfishing at the snapper banks. LOL. If we cant block this at this point, they will continue to infringe on our rights. I keep my boat in Midway, GA and this is a quick run to Grays for me. Hopefully they will realize that this is not a good move and will go pick on some other group.

Welcome to my other world, that of aviation, where regulations that make NO SENSE and cause harm to those attempting to participate are hammered for the fault of a few. :(

Unfortunately fishing is generally permitted in Marine "Sanctuaries." They are not no-take marine reserves.

Even the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, which has a reasonable number of no take marine reserves, allows both recreational and commercial fishing in some of its waters.

I think it's great to have an opinion of issues in areas I have never been too.Why it's even great to impose my views on others politically.

A few other veterans and I were sitting around and we think it's high time no one got a vote anywhere in the world until they prove an ability to place others wants needs and safety ahead of their own by serving in the military for a minimum of 4 years.

Not that marine reserves in the SE Atlantic have ever shown any quantifiable value as a tool for species preservation......ever.It's just that animal activists are so smart they should be allowed to limit everyone else's freedom without a system of checks and balances.

The Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary has been a success in regards to fish populations and there are plenty of no take zones inside it.

It is a shame that rules "have" to be created based on the actions of the few that violate other rules... we all suffer for it.

100days-a-year... many of us have served higher causes, but not necessarily done military service. I applaud those who have put their lives on the line and respect their commitment and sacrifice for country. I have a commitment to the environment since it is what sustains us all. I've worked towards improving it my entire adult life (some 44 years). By the way, did you really mean the SE Atlantic? According to my knowledge of geography that is nowhere near Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom