Spearfishing to be Banned at Grays Reef Marine Sanctuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The managed area of the coasts of NC,SC,GA and Fla to the East side of the Tortugas is managed as the SE Atlantic by the respective state and federal agencies.

And no, the areas in the Keys have not had any effect on fish populations other than in a few select reefs areas.Hence even more restrictive closures being enacted in the Keys.Short of vast tracts of closure area or specific areas that are known spawning grounds MPAs are proven ineffective.

While I am not a huge advocate of spearfishing, I do believe that as long as it is done responsibly, and no fish population is ever allowed to get near a danger zone for "disappearing", then I believe it should be allowed. Unfortunately, it is the hunters themselves that cause the problems. And with this, I do not just mean humans. The combined efforts of hunters enable the extinction of certain species of animals (topside and beneath the surface). If restrictions were put in place to protect (as best we can that is) the various species, and people choose to live by the rules, then I would welcome spearfishing almost anywhere. I am however, againsy any form of TROPHY hunting or true sport hunting. If you kill it and will use it to feed or cloth, then I say go for it. If you kill anything just for the thrill of it......well let's just say I would use more colorful words to describe you :wink:.

To just ban anything as a knee-jerk reaction is wrong in almost every case IMO.

We, as spearfishermen, only take what we are allowed under the same bag limit a H&L fishermen. We are also only allowed to take fish that over a certain size limit that is also the same as H&Lers. We do not have any by-catch & do not throw one subdued fish back when a bigger one is boated. The only difference is that we get our bag limit sooner. If we are taking too many large fish, then what about slot sizes? Fisheries management is like buoyancy control. Make small adjustments. Longer run times make for better research results. If too many fish are there, then none will reach the massive size that NOAA says they should. The fish will sense a saturation level of mass that cannot be sustained by the available food source. The females will also not change into super males because of lack of sustainability. If the biomass consumption exceeds the available food supply, the population crashes until a sustainable level. Remember, these fish have been adapting for a LONG time. They have adapted. We are seeing Red Snapper here in numbers that have not been seen in a long time. We are seeing them also in 35 to 40 fsw now as opposed to 70fsw & deeper. If you dive here in water that is over 120fsw, the Gags will scare the crap out of you! The 25lb Reds are as thick as bees!
The survey methods & equations are archaic at best, & carried out at the worst time of year, in the most depleted places. Better results for them. Cook the numbers. If you were a grouper, would you sit on top of a ledge while four or three divers that are decked out with crap swim up to you? NO! I am going to get out of site PDQ! They do not chase fish, nor look under ledges. Only fish that are in a pre-determined field of view. I do not have much faith in their surveys. Several times we have offered to help with data collection free of charge & on our own time. This was mentioned in the minutes of the first meeting. We were never approached or contacted.
So, how do we know that the current limits are not working? Maximum yield is down because no body can afford to fish commercially any more. Insurance, dock-age, fuel, lack of disposable income. All of these things have knocked the commercial fishery in half. Who ever is left will be further buried by SAFMC.
This action is about singling out spearos as more destructive than any other method of harvest. Plus. there data does not show any spearfishing activity going on. So, what is the problem? Grays Reef Management council says that they are being pro-active. Think about this. Grays is one of the smallest sanctuaries. Actions taken there will set precedent for all sanctuaries. Pass the action under the radar. People think it doesn't have anything to do with them until, BOOM! Blindsided. All of a sudden, you are a criminal.
I can go on & on on this & all I do is get more pis...aggravated. I hope that all spear fishermen will help win this fight. If we send comments & letters to congress, Sec. of Commerce. Grays Reef council & anyone else that will listen. We should not be singled out.
There is more science out there that can be manipulated to serve any cause. Quick reactions are never the best thing. Longer time lines make for better research. I just think that if it is closed to us, it should be closed to everyone.

The managed area of the coasts of NC,SC,GA and Fla to the East side of the Tortugas is managed as the SE Atlantic by the respective state and federal agencies.

And no, the areas in the Keys have not had any effect on fish populations other than in a few select reefs areas.Hence even more restrictive closures being enacted in the Keys.Short of vast tracts of closure area or specific areas that are known spawning grounds MPAs are proven ineffective.

I disagree but to each his own

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the spent ordinance "found" in the sanctuary was placed there by the anti-spear activists that get so passionate in their opposition to the sport. If those who smoke the PETA crack would throw blood at fashion shows, harasses children, commit arson, etc. what would stop them from planting evidence that would indict the entire sport of spearfishing? I submit that since there is absolutely NO evidence that powerheads were used on fish that it is equally plausible that this was a PETA plant.

If they haven't done it, they're reading this thread and making plans at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom