Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maybe SCUBA divers would appreciate the section more if it were called James Bond Fireball/spearfishing.

I believe you refering to the awesome UW fight seen in Thunderball. If not, check it out.
Omicron, I know you dive Lake Michigan. Take that speargun on a shore dive around June 1st. Traditionaly thats when the carp come in to spawn. At least in the Port Washington area. I've seen fish as big as railroad ties over the years. I used to go after them with a bow fishing rig from a canoe. You tie into a big one and they will tow you around until they tire, just like a miniature whale. Great fun.

Jim

I would really like to try and get a couple of carp sometime...
Check your fishing regulatins, last time I checked it was legal to take yellow perch in many inland areas.
Carp are EXCELLENT when smoked, much better than salmon as far as I'm concerned. Big trick is to get them from clean enough water.

I have an outstanding beer batter perch recipe posted here: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/food.html
There's also directions on smoking fish, & how to build a smoker.

Looks like one more thing we have in common.
I also like to collect my dinner direct from the factory.
But Do Not bring your speargun to Ginnie next week.
If we get 8-10 people in that cave any fish with half of a pea-size brain will be in the river.
:rolleyes:

Hope to see you there

Omicron once bubbled...
I have one of my dad's hand-me-down spearguns, and I've really wanted to give it a try. Around here we are allowed to spearfish rough fish - carp, suckers, that sort of thing. I would really like to try and get a couple of carp sometime...it sounds like it would a lot of fun.
You eat carp?
-------------
I see from a later post they are good smoked...
It's a regional thing, I reckon.
Rick

Carp are good if taken from clean moving water.

I grew up in NC in the 60's and 70's and catfish were considered trash fish. All the Browns and Bullheads I got were from clean river water and tasted great....look at the price of farm raised catfish sold in the stores now.

Out here in So Cal, I've found that there are very few things that taste as good as a halibut that I speared and cooked.

It looks like I started something here! Maybe the powers that be will see fit to start a spearfishing section (HINT, HINT!!).
Kurt:mean:

it pizzes off some of the "powers that be" for two reasons:

1. Its fishing. You know, the PETA people and such? Yeah. There seem to be a lot of them diving, running dive shops, running dive boards. Oh well.

2. It tends to be a solo activity. Yes, you may have a buddy officially, but you really don't. Better be self-reliant and comfortable in the water. That part of it REALLY rubs some people the wrong way; witness the various religious arguments on this board about this issue. (Again, you typcially DO have a buddy, but if you're both hunting while you may be there for him/her its not nearly the same as a nearly-touch-contact-at-all-times sightseeing dive - nor is the "buddy" nearly as effective.)

I'd like to see a spearing section here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom