Inflator hose with built in rapid exhaust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are probably getting into details here, but I feel like the D-ring location is pretty well defined and has a pretty narrow range of locations based on the idea that you stick your arm out straight horizontal, bend the elbow and your thumb should hit the ring. I think that is how it was described to me anyway. So moving it much away from that location to address a corrugated hose routing issue would not be my first choice.

Another thing, if you are using an SS1, you want to have decent neck movement when using it. Trapping the hoses that feed it unnecessarily could be a problem.

Perhaps the simplest solution just came to me... Sometimes you might be able to route only the LP inflator hose through the ring, and the slack between the corrugated hose and the LP hose is not so great that the device is flopping around, but it will also yield a good bit of play to raise the inflator when you want to dump air. That experiment takes no $ or time. If you have a rubber LP hose instead of a woven one, this may work better, since the hose is stiffer.

you might be able to route only the LP inflator hose through the ring
I route the inflator hose through a bungee loop (leaving the ring free to clip things). My ring/bungee height and inflator length is such that there's no danger of decoupling the hose when lifted. If that's a possibility, a bit of inner tube will solve that issue.

OP, see this page for more details (and other great tips elsewhere on the site):

We are probably getting into details here, but I feel like the D-ring location is pretty well defined and has a pretty narrow range of locations based on the idea that you stick your arm out straight horizontal, bend the elbow and your thumb should hit the ring. I think that is how it was described to me anyway. So moving it much away from that location to address a corrugated hose routing issue would not be my first choice.

Another thing, if you are using an SS1, you want to have decent neck movement when using it. Trapping the hoses that feed it unnecessarily could be a problem.

Perhaps the simplest solution just came to me... Sometimes you might be able to route only the LP inflator hose through the ring, and the slack between the corrugated hose and the LP hose is not so great that the device is flopping around, but it will also yield a good bit of play to raise the inflator when you want to dump air. That experiment takes no $ or time. If you have a rubber LP hose instead of a woven one, this may work better, since the hose is stiffer.
I actually tried routing the inflator hose only on my last dive and was not a fan of how much it flopped around still but maybe something I just need to suck it up and cope with. I've almost got full range of neck motion with the ss1 as is but it'll be nothing to slide the d ring up 2 or 3". Thankfully I have a pool and am 5 minutes away from a shallow training sight so experimenting requires no effort.

I do. Less experienced divers freak out when I'm upside down doing this. That is the real predicament. Dump valve on bottom isn't going to bleed off air that's in the top of the bc
Although I use the bump to get down I never forget my buddy. Some folks can’t clear their ears as quick as me. So I stop and wait for them, never being more than 3m deeper. Dropping and leaving your buddies is not good practice.

Although I use the bump to get down I never forget my buddy. Some folks can’t clear their ears as quick as me. So I stop and wait for them, never being more than 3m deeper. Dropping and leaving your buddies is not good practice.
I don't leave the buddy. Just oriented a different way than they are.

Moved d-ring 2" up and problems fixed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom