Inflator hose with built in rapid exhaust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

better option is to use a piece of bungi to retain the inflator and hose in the same general location, but when you want/need to deflate in a head up position, the bungi loop will stretch enough to allow lifting of the inflator and facilitate effective venting.
Second this advice. I have to be careful not to vent more than a couple seconds or else I'll leave my buddy behind.

Are you unable to orally inflate the wing as well with the inflator run though the D-ring?

It's getting pretty close to 50. I'll have to double check what the computer says. I'd guess I'm around 46 but 30 of them have been this year. I've only been diving for 2 years.
With that few dives, it might be prudent to configure your gear in a more "main-stream" manner. Rigging the inflator so you can't dump air is diverging pretty far from what I think most training would have to say about the issue. The pull dump is fine, the bungi might work, but you don't need to just add a ton of lead so you can descend fast, in the feet first position with some residual air in the BC. That suggestion kinda scares me a little.

If you want to sink feet first, you just need to dump all the air from your BC before you hit the water. If you exhale, wait a few moments for bubbles to exit the wetsuit, cross your ankles (it keeps you from unknowingly finning) then you should be able to sink from the surface at the start of the dive. The tank is full and almost 5 lbs heavier than it is at the end of the dive - assuming your weighting is pretty standard.

I’ve been using a Hollis st35 for the last 2 years which only has 1 dump valve in the bottom left. theres been a few times I’ve had a hard time getting enough air out through my inflator hose that I’ve had to use a head down decent in order to get down. Is adding a rapid exhaust inflator hose have any down sides or Asking for trouble? typical diving application is Spearfishing with the occasional sight seeing your when wife decides to go.
So why don’t you use the dump valve to vent gas rather than trying to use the inflater hose.

Second this advice. I have to be careful not to vent more than a couple seconds or else I'll leave my buddy behind.

Are you unable to orally inflate the wing as well with the inflator run though the D-ring?
I can access it fine to perform all functions and it will still bleed off air. I've figured out after playing in the pool last night it won't bleed off 4 pounds of air when in the upright position.

So why don’t you use the dump valve to vent gas rather than trying to use the inflater hose.
I do. Less experienced divers freak out when I'm upside down doing this. That is the real predicament. Dump valve on bottom isn't going to bleed off air that's in the top of the bc

With that few dives, it might be prudent to configure your gear in a more "main-stream" manner. Rigging the inflator so you can't dump air is diverging pretty far from what I think most training would have to say about the issue. The pull dump is fine, the bungi might work, but you don't need to just add a ton of lead so you can descend fast, in the feet first position with some residual air in the BC. That suggestion kinda scares me a little.

If you want to sink feet first, you just need to dump all the air from your BC before you hit the water. If you exhale, wait a few moments for bubbles to exit the wetsuit, cross your ankles (it keeps you from unknowingly finning) then you should be able to sink from the surface at the start of the dive. The tank is full and almost 5 lbs heavier than it is at the end of the dive - assuming your weighting is pretty standard.
It can dump air. Just about 4 pounds won't escape. I rig how all the guys I normally dive with rig and those guys do 100+ dives a year. I'll take a picture so you can see it's a pretty standard rigging. It's just the d ring sits just below the level of the armpit so that's the highest point air can bleed off when the pressure is lower (bladder is almost empty)

If you can't fully empty your bladder with your corrugated hose, you need to fix that.

If your buddy gets freaked out when you descend, you need to fix that too.

50 dives isn't nothing, but it's enough to give you confidence to overestimate your skill level. Just be careful.

Also realize that someone who seems like an impressive diver when you get certified might not look as put- together once you get better. Always look on others critically before you emulate them. I'm not saying those "100+ dives a year" guys are bad divers, but just be careful that you don't emulate bad habits (you decide what that means.)

If your buddy gets annoyed when you do something, why? Are they annoyed that you left them? Did you brief them properly on the plan? Did they agree to it? Are you diving beyond their limits?

The corrugated hose is stuck in a 'J' trap. I solve that by making sure my D Ring is high on my shoulder and keeping the inflator in place with a thin bungee threaded into my left shoulder D Ring. This lets me remove the LPI and raise it to dump if needed (almost never). I don't think you NEED a pull dump. I'm not against them, but they do fail occasionally when you pull too hard and it pops off. I do worry if the inflator is trapped you might not be able to pull it easily. There are simpler solutions to your problem you can also try.

If you can't fully empty your bladder with your corrugated hose, you need to fix that.

If your buddy gets freaked out when you descend, you need to fix that too.

50 dives isn't nothing, but it's enough to give you confidence to overestimate your skill level. Just be careful.

Also realize that someone who seems like an impressive diver when you get certified might not look as put- together once you get better. Always look on others critically before you emulate them. I'm not saying those "100+ dives a year" guys are bad divers, but just be careful that you don't emulate bad habits (you decide what that means.)

If your buddy gets annoyed when you do something, why? Are they annoyed that you left them? Did you brief them properly on the plan? Did they agree to it? Are you diving beyond their limits?

The corrugated hose is stuck in a 'J' trap. I solve that by making sure my D Ring is high on my shoulder and keeping the inflator in place with a thin bungee threaded into my left shoulder D Ring. This lets me remove the LPI and raise it to dump if needed (almost never). I don't think you NEED a pull dump. I'm not against them, but they do fail occasionally when you pull too hard and it pops off. I do worry if the inflator is trapped you might not be able to pull it easily. There are simpler solutions to your problem you can also try.
Moving my d ring plus bungee should solve all my issues. I'm gonna give that a shot.

I definitely don't want more fragile failure points so I think that answers my question on the built in rapid exhaust.

I'm pretty good on breifing my game plan. Since I use a ss1 octo I have to run them through out of air emergency procedures so I go through an entire dive plan walk through but Vacation divers just get in their own heads too much when you deviate from what they learned in class. I'm definitely attempting to work on my wife not freaking as much.

Back
Top Bottom