Speargun for a teenager?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. I have a question. In spearfishing, if the gun is already loaded, all the diver has to do is pull the trigger (at the right fish and size of course). With a pole spear doesn't the diver have to pull a band like a sling shot? And, wouldn't that take more effort as far as bouyancy control goes?

Yes, the person using a pole spear would have to stretch the band in order to take a shot. As far as bouyancy control it will only have an effect by taking the divers concentration off of diving and onto the shot.

Having a diver concentrating on spearing, or photography, is not a bad thing. That is as long as the diver in question is first a competent diver. Sometimes when I'm shooting pictures I may either sink a little or rise up a little while I am concentrating on a shot. From experience at diving I sense this and compensate without loosing my ability to take the picture.

Without the competence that comes with experience, a newer diver my not notice even drastic changes in depth. They may rise up to the point where the air volume in their BCD starts making them rise faster, or they may sink down and end up on the coral. I am not saying that this will happen. It is just more likely to happen to a new diver when they become distracted.

If the new diver is competent in the water with bouyancy, and situational awareness, then it might be safe to try spear fishing. Like the previous posters I would suggest trying it in a controlled environment first.

A speargun for a teenager? Are you kidding? He'll shoot his eye out.
(Just a little Christmas humor where the kid didn't get the BB gun--hope I don't get censored).

I don't know that a pole spear is more "prudent" Rumple. It may may a better fisherman in hte end but its not necessarily more prudent IMO.

As a mom, I can see your concern. I see nothing wrong with getting one for the child, as long as they know it is for the future. That they need to prove themselves as a good diver, and I would want them to shadow a hunter that I respected. I have been asking a lot of questions lately about what it takes to spear fish. Not only good diving skills, but also the ability to identify all the fish, be able to understand what it all involves. I plan to do this in the near future, but wouldn't hold a gun until my mentor knew I was ready.

I have things my children have that are restricted and only under my supervision. To have it, and understand what it takes to earn the right to use it, should be expressed upfront. That has worked well for me.

It's hard to give your child something and say...hey, this is yours, but it will take time for you to use it. But that also teaches discipline.

As an experienced spearfisherman & diver. I will tell you that it is a terrible idea to allow anyone who is a new or inexperinced diver to spear fish.
This is an accident waiting to happen.
Firstly, You are dealing with a diver who has no or very little bouyancy skills.
Secondly, I doubt anyone who has speared will deny that your air consumption increases. Breathing rate fluctuates. Causing the inexperienced to drift up rapidly in the water column. Dump Bc to get back down, etc.
Finally running into an out of air situation.
Unless you are a proficient underwater navigator it is pretty certain you will get lost/disoriented. Simply because of task overload. I've seen this while teaching spearfishing.

Freedive with a polespear will teach him how to stalk and be a better diver. He also will need to demonstrate he knows the appropriate laws regulating the taking of fish and have his fish ID down pat. Best method is to let him be taught by experienced spearos.

I let my 10 yr old shoot my gun. He got excited and forgot to lock his elbow and the recoil smashed the gun butt into his mouth and he nearly lost both front teeth. Believe me, a pole spear is safer from a number of perspectives.

Also a "safety tip" on a gun is non-existant. Even a shaft with no tip can easily fully penetrate a human body.

Freedive with a polespear will teach him how to stalk and be a better diver. He also will need to demonstrate he knows the appropriate laws regulating the taking of fish and have his fish ID down pat. Best method is to let him be taught by experienced spearos.
Bingo!
Some of the best divers I know were first freedivers who "graduated" to scuba.
Getting the "basics" down first is of immeasurable help, especially when it comes to those "bad habits" like improper weighting & using a BC as a weight belt compensating device or an "elevator" for that nasty old pushbutton diving.
Not all pole spears have to be first drawn back; those are the Hawaiian Slings, a very potent spear in its own right, the technique is somewhat reminiscent of a bow & arrow. Best used in very clear water, the spear is untethered & you need to be able to see where it winds up after the fish dodges it.
Some of the pole spears can be held in the "cocked" position with 1 hand for quite a while, but preferably just when sneaking up on dinner.

The kid in my avatar got his first gun when he was 13 or 14 -- a Biller 42. I taught him gun safety and he practiced it, and he's still shooting fish at age 26 with no injuries or accidents to speak of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom