Spegial Grove Blueprints? Advance planning for penetrating The Grove.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
That's true. But let me add that I had gone through my cavern class within the timeline that mtsidford is describing.

I'm sure they are a ton of people that have a cavern or I guess even cave cert. that are ready to penetrate a wreck at this depth, with only 1 year of exerience. IBut, I wonder if that is the case here.

If the orignal poster has a couple hundred dives, some tech courses, some overhead training, lots of dives with doubles and is experinced at penetrating wrecks at 100'SW - that's fine, although I still think this question does not belong in the DIR forum.

MASS-Diver:
I'm sure they are a ton of people that have a cavern or I guess even cave cert. that are ready to penetrate a wreck at this depth, with only 1 year of exerience.

If the orignal poster has a couple hundred dives, some tech courses, some overhead training, lots of dives with doubles and is experinced at penetrating wrecks at 100'SW

How much 100' wreck penetration experience is needed to go in an artificial that has been down for a couple years and starts at 50'?

Spectre:
How much 100' wreck penetration experience is needed to go in an artificial that has been down for a couple years and starts at 50'?

Well, I guess if you can get in her at 50' - then I'd have to ammend my post to say - experience at 50'.

I've never been on the Groove, I've heard she's huge. I would think it would be easy to get into trouble if you didn't know what you are doing. I also heard that there are permanent lines in places?

MASS-Diver:
Well, I guess if you can get in her at 50' - then I'd have to ammend my post to say - experience at 50'.

I've never been on the Groove, I've heard she's huge. I would think it would be easy to get into trouble if you didn't know what you are doing. I also heard that there are permanent lines in places?

Also she doesn't sit upright, being on her side can be disorienting I hear.

MASS-Diver:
She is, it is and yes, although I've only seen Darwin lines (thanks Spectre)

Wendy:
Also she doesn't sit upright, being on her side can be disorienting I hear.
It can be.

There's plenty of dive to do inside rec. limits or even "cavern", unless you have a significant amount of experience inside deepish wrecks I wouldn't worry about going inside, if you do, I'm sure the op you're using will be happy to help you plan a dive.

Ben

MASS-Diver:
No offense, but why is this in the DIR forum? I liked "Shadow Divers" as well, but the stuff they do in that book could not be more non-DIR: solo diving, deep dives on air, etc, etc. If you have any seen DEeep Sea Detectives you know that Chatterton is not DIR.

Nor have I ever heard Chatterton claim to be DIR. He is a commercial diver with more experience in doing difficult things safely underwater than most of us will try in several lifetimes.

He doesn't claim that Deep See Detectives is a TV show for divers. For that matter, neither was Sea Hunt.

In the DSD show about diving a cave, there was emphasis placed on training for the cave dives. Chatterton didn't try to bull his way through with an, "I'm an experienced diver with these many different c-cards. I can handle anything."

In Shadow Divers, two of the four deaths were experienced cave divers. They didn't realize that wreck penetration was different than penetrating caves. They also allowed themselves to be needled into doing a dive they were not prepared to do.

I laud the first poster for thinking about planning his dives. Regardless of his experience, he is a well-trained diver.

garyfotodiver:
In the DSD show about diving a cave, there was emphasis placed on training for the cave dives. Chatterton didn't try to bull his way through with an, "I'm an experienced diver with these many different c-cards. I can handle anything."

LOL, yeah, but the video shows him doing skills on his knees!

In Shadow Divers, two of the four deaths were experienced cave divers. They didn't realize that wreck penetration was different than penetrating caves. They also allowed themselves to be needled into doing a dive they were not prepared to do.

If you are referring to the Rouses, they were also experienced shipwreck divers. The main problem was that they were diving air down below 200fsw because they were too poor to buy trimix. The lesson is, if you can't do it the right way, don't do it at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom