Spegial Grove Blueprints? Advance planning for penetrating The Grove.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
Nor have I ever heard Chatterton claim to be DIR. He is a commercial diver with more experience in doing difficult things safely underwater than most of us will try in several lifetimes.

Just curious about this statement "he is a commercial diver" I have seen comments about him being a wreck diver but never anything saying he had any commercial experience.

rmediver2002:
Just curious about this statement "he is a commercial diver" I have seen comments about him being a wreck diver but never anything saying he had any commercial experience.

Yup, that's how he makes his living, it's all in "Shadow Divers."

Again, I've big fan of the guy, but in this forum just about everything he does is wrong. Am I the only one that saw the show were he "tested" a home made rebreather on a deep dive? Lots of solo diving, lots of danlies, lots of poor finning.

Bottom line, this is the DIR forum, so the DIR answer would be that if you don't have Cave I don't go into an overhead environment right?

I have only seen one episode, it was him and Peter Bozanic diving in a cave in Mexico. I didn't really like that show, maybe I will try to catch the next one...

Soggy:
If you are referring to the Rouses, they were also experienced shipwreck divers. The main problem was that they were diving air down below 200fsw because they were too poor to buy trimix. The lesson is, if you can't do it the right way, don't do it at all.

They brought their caving techniques to the wreck; it was inappropriate. Just look at the photo of the tangled penetration line. The dive was called by some because of heavy seas; father needled son to dive on air, not tri-mix. Then,when the father backed out, the son needled him.

The son overexerted, got narced, and panicked.

As to the air, everyone dived air until tri-mix became available and popular. Divers made the Andrea Doria shortly after it sank in 1956. Of course, some have died there, too.

The lesson is that diving, whether at 10ft. or 200ft. is a serious activity. Treat it with the respect it deserves.

MASS-Diver:
Bottom line, this is the DIR forum, so the DIR answer would be that if you don't have Cave I don't go into an overhead environment right?

Technically that would be the GUE answer... but of course no one can keep all that stuff straight.

garyfotodiver:
They brought their caving techniques to the wreck; it was inappropriate. Just look at the photo of the tangled penetration line.

Oh, come on. The caving techniques have nothing to do with it. They've been proven successful over and over again. He got tangled in the line because he was narced out of his skull, possibly hallucinating, possibly toxing after something fell on him. When he finally got out, they made a wrong turn and lost their deco bottles. Those were the causes. Don't go making up crap about the caving techniques being the source of the troubles.

garyfotodiver:
They brought their caving techniques to the wreck; it was inappropriate. .

Are you kidding me this stuff? These guys were accomplished wreck divers. They new what they what were doing - the mistake wasn't running a line. Running a line into a wreck isn't "cave stuff" anymore - this isn't the 50s.

Lets set the record straight. I came to you guys because I thought you would be D.I.R. (Doing It Right) That means planning ahead!!!!! Being as safe as possible starts with learning about the dive before you dive it. Yes, I began diving a year ago. It has since occupied all of my free time. I have over 150 dives in that short time ranging in various depths up to 130ft. Yes I have my advanced card but not cave. There are no cave dive oportunities in Mass. I have dove in various sea conditions and poooor visibility at typically sub 50deg temps. I hope to get overhead certified on this dive. My bouyancy is very good and my air consumption can stick with anyone. Can I improve? Absolutely. Can I go into the Spegial and see a few rooms and live to tell about it. YES. I'm not planning on visiting each level or taking 50 turns as Chatterton did. I will be running a line and just want to know which holes and areas of the boat might be the most interesting to penetrate on a small scale. I'm not diving doubles, but last 2hrs+ on my PS119 @30ft, and my pony bottle should suffice in the limited penetration I intend to do. So If anyone has any knowledge as to how I might obtain some documents showing the interior of the Grove I would greatly appreciate it. I'm goin in and I'm not goin blind. I can Assure you I'm Very Saftey minded which is why I came to this board. Thank you for your help. Sid

mtsidford:
Lets set the record straight. I came to you guys because I thought you would be D.I.R. (Doing It Right) That means planning ahead!!!!!

Doing It Right, in this case, means getting the proper training so you don't end up being another statistic. Take a proper Cave/Cavern/Wreck penetration class before even considering this project. The SG is like 500 ft long, and while I have never dived her, I'm quite sure there is plenty to see on the outside. Anything else is irresponsible on your part.

mtsidford:
Lets set the record straight. I came to you guys because I thought you would be D.I.R. (Doing It Right) That means planning ahead!!!!! Being as safe as possible starts with learning about the dive before you dive it. Yes, I began diving a year ago. It has since occupied all of my free time. I have over 150 dives in that short time ranging in various depths up to 130ft. Yes I have my advanced card but not cave. There are no cave dive oportunities in Mass. I have dove in various sea conditions and poooor visibility at typically sub 50deg temps. I hope to get overhead certified on this dive. My bouyancy is very good and my air consumption can stick with anyone. Can I improve? Absolutely. Can I go into the Spegial and see a few rooms and live to tell about it. YES. I'm not planning on visiting each level or taking 50 turns as Chatterton did. I will be running a line and just want to know which holes and areas of the boat might be the most interesting to penetrate on a small scale. I'm not diving doubles, but last 2hrs+ on my PS119 @30ft, and my pony bottle should suffice in the limited penetration I intend to do. So If anyone has any knowledge as to how I might obtain some documents showing the interior of the Grove I would greatly appreciate it. I'm goin in and I'm not goin blind. I can Assure you I'm Very Saftey minded which is why I came to this board. Thank you for your help. Sid

Sigh, I was hoping that this wasn't the case. Try posting in the wreck diving forum - someone will help you with the plans.

Singles and a pony in an overhead environment (even an "easy" one) without overhead training is just plain not DIR.

Planning head to do a dive that you don't have the training, experience, or gear to do is not DIR. Fly down to FL and take a cavern course or go up to VT and take a cave course and ditch the pony and get some doubles.

BTW, I probably live about 5 minutes away from you and we probably go to the same Dive shop - it sounds like you are already convinced that you are really squared away with the fundamentals, but I'd be glad to get in the water with you sometime for a shake down dive sometime in the coming months. My air consumption isn't half bad either. I dive year round too. Before I knew that I didn't know anything I did some overhead stuff too (mostly on the Poling) and in hindsight I'm lucky I wasn't killed, dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom