SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not corrosion, per se. It just isn't shiney and chrome-like. Its what I would suspect un-finished brass would look like when exposed to air for awhile.

We're not talking Statue of Liberty green, but its turning that way. No crusty build up, but it ain't pretty.

k

I recently purchased a OMS brass SPG on ebay, and the hose didn't have a swivel spool thingy. Does anybody know where I can buy one online? I already searched LeisurePro, and didn't see any there.

Thanks,

Mike

Funny... our new gauges never leak. Also, we have never recieved a new gauge that was all green either. These things must be old.

mwpowell once bubbled...
I recently purchased a OMS brass SPG on ebay, and the hose didn't have a swivel spool thingy. Does anybody know where I can buy one online? I already searched LeisurePro, and didn't see any there.

Thanks,

Mike
An OMS dealer will have a spool for a OMS gauge for sure. Most gauges use the same one and any shop should have one.

mwpowell once bubbled...

Thanks,

Mike
spools are too cheap to purchase online... especially when the LDS will likely give you one if you have developed a decent working relationship with them...

I defined a decent working relationship as them giving me little stuff and me buying from them only the things that I want to buy from them.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

spools are too cheap to purchase online... especially when the LDS will likely give you one if you have developed a decent working relationship with them...

I defined a decent working relationship as them giving me little stuff and me buying from them only the things that I want to buy from them.

They have to give you stuff for it to be a good relationship? Why would you ever buy something from them that you didn't want to buy?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
They have to give you stuff for it to be a good relationship?
It is a two way street... with most of the action going their direction.

I purchase a DUI drysuit... they make a lot of money.
The give me a spool... I save a pittance.

Now I suppose I could reverse the equation.

I purchase my drysuits online... I save a lot of money.
They sell me a spool... they make a pittance.

It's interesting how different things look from the other side of the fence. From my perspective, the margin is better on spools than on DUI suits and I can afford to fill a wall with them (low risk). At the same time I still can't afford to even get a DUI dealership (you have to buy six rental suits and underwear). That's not just six suits but six rental suits which means you aren't supposed to sell them for like a year. Gotta sell a bunch in a hurry to make it worth doing (high risk). Do this at the wrong time and sell too few too slow and you take em home and use them for wall paper.

Do you place the same requirements on the grocery store you shop at?

I am all for maintaining my own gear, but I sure wouldn't be happy with a new item that was shipped to me with surface corrosion. When brass contacts air (specifically O2), and moisture (H2O) it will react, period. This is and electrochemical process known as oxidation or corrosion. If you take out one of the two requirements for corrosion to take place, you will eliminate the ability for the brass to corrode. I believe that the job of the O-rings are to keep the moisture away from the spool and while doing that maintain pressure integrity of the SPG assembly.

If the SPG was assembled properly you should not have any corrosion on the spool. Why would you trust a company that ships out poorly assembled equipment? Send it back collect and request a replacement or your money back!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Do you place the same requirements on the grocery store you shop at?
Though they usually don't *give* stuff away they have what are called *loss leaders*, items price at or below their cost to get shoppers into the store in the hopes that they will buy other stuff too. I'm sure that the grocers in your area do the same. And I'll bet that your principles don't keep you from buying items that are *on special*.

Yes... mark up on the spools is more than markup on the DUI... but how many spools would a fellow have to sell to equal the profit on one DUI CF200?

You see, my buying things like the DUI from the LDS (along with quite a few other folks) enables them to be one of the largest DUI dealers in the nation.

I think that they actually prefer that to receiving awards for selling the most spools in a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom