SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Though they usually don't *give* stuff away they have what are called *loss leaders*, items price at or below their cost to get shoppers into the store in the hopes that they will buy other stuff too. I'm sure that the grocers in your area do the same. And I'll bet that your principles don't keep you from buying items that are *on special*.

A good price isn't against my principles but you didn't say you wanted a good price you said you wanted things given to you. We have lots of loss leaders. In fact I would like to see another business that has more.
Yes... mark up on the spools is more than markup on the DUI... but how many spools would a fellow have to sell to equal the profit on one DUI CF200?

A bunch but another question is how many CF200's do you have to sell before there is any profit at all? especially if you have to give people presents to sell them.
You see, my buying things like the DUI from the LDS (along with quite a few other folks) enables them to be one of the largest DUI dealers in the nation.

I think that they actually prefer that to receiving awards for selling the most spools in a month.

I never thought that I might get an award. The reason I commented on this is because one of the few things I have found that are more screwed up than the dive industry is the perception most divers seem to have about what goes on behind the scenes at dive shops. Divers perceptions of what is profitable and what isn't and why things work the way they do seem to be just exactly backwards from reality. These misconceptions seem to be one of our bigger road blocks. The widespred attitude that if you didn't screw the shop than they screwed you.

In the case of this thread a diver gets a "green" leaky gauge from LP and people sugggests that he might get a free fix from his local shop because a good relationship requires such things to be free. If a shop sold a leaky green gauge they would have their name plastered all over and likely be accused of attempted murder.

We don't get green leaky gauges from the manufacturer and neither does LP. We don't sell green leaky gauges and neither should LP.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
You can fight it or you can accept it. Folks will buy from LP and other online e-tailers unless they are receiving more value from the LDS in some form or another.

To attract and keep customers is costly. Cheap items like spools and o-rings are very cost effective in that regard.... though I have never asked to be given things... because they did... I patronize them on some (not all) things.

Every dry suit I have ever purchased (except for some used ones from the Fire Dept. that I parted out to friends) I have purchased through this same LDS.

When ever I need a suit repair I take it to this LDS. I point others to this LDS for suit repairs.

It seems to be working for them... the have multiple stores and like I said are one of (if not the) largest DUI dealers.

In the case of this thread a diver gets a "green" leaky gauge from LP and people sugggests that he might get a free fix from his local shop because a good relationship requires such things to be free. If a shop sold a leaky green gauge they would have their name plastered all over and likely be accused of attempted murder.
The question was were online can I get...?

My response was to go to the LDS. And perhaps they will even be given a spool if the LDS owner is smart. Cheap way to show the value of shopping at his LDS.

And perhaps those who purchase green SPGs from LP will begin to discover the value of purchasing untarnished goods from the LDS instead of hassling with cleaning out the corrosion.

Just a thought. :wink:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The question was were online can I get...?

My response was to go to the LDS. And perhaps they will even be given a spool if the LDS owner is smart. Cheap way to show the value of shopping at his LDS.

And perhaps those who purchase green SPGs from LP will begin to discover the value of purchasing untarnished goods from the LDS instead of hassling with cleaning out the corrosion.

Just a thought. :wink:

And it's a good thought.

into a LP vs. LDS debate. There has got to be more important stuff in this world.

leadweight once bubbled...
into a LP vs. LDS debate. There has got to be more important stuff in this world.

Frankly, not to me there isn't. But if you read that little exchange closely I think you'll see that's not what the debate was.

I can't wait to read your next few posts to see what important world topics you address.

If I print an item with a price from LP or another on line store they will match or beat the price. I'm not sure how or why they do this and in fact it causes some complaints from other LDS but they are by far better than any other I have come across In selection and Knowledge.

Frankly, not to me there isn't. But if you read that little exchange closely I think you'll see that's not what the debate was.

I can't wait to read your next few posts to see what important world topics you address.

of world importance would you like to hear about Mike?

The mix of trouble is particularly rich right now. Sorry you feel that way about it.

leadweight once bubbled...

of world importance would you like to hear about Mike?

The mix of trouble is particularly rich right now. Sorry you feel that way about it.

Your pick. You were the one complaining about the lack of importance in the topic. Your sorry I feel how about what? LOL Have a good weekend

Your pick. You were the one complaining about the lack of importance in the topic. Your sorry I feel how about what? LOL Have a good weekend

Back
Top Bottom