Spiegel Grove (Key Largo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pink...just got back from Key Largo 2 days ago and did a dive trip with Island Venture's . Either I got Brian (owner) on a good day or you got him on a bad one . One of the better dive days I've had in the Keys (20 years worth) Did 2 dives on the Grove using 32% EAN , first to 130 max for a total of 38 min. second to 114 max for 25 min. including deco . My buddy ( a stranger ) and I were on our own after a good site briefing on the boat . Sorry it did'nt turn out as well for you but don't get down on diving there , the next trip might just turn out to be one of your best...:)

PinkPADIgal once bubbled...
Hi Everyone...I am new here so bear with me.

I am a wreck freak. I have dove wrecks in Canada, Califorina, Washington State, Florida and Mexico. I love LARGE wrecks so I made a special trip to Key Largo on my last vacation to dive on the Speigal Grove. I have about 50 or more dives on wrecks and dive cold water. Needless to say, I was extremely EXCITED to dive on the Spegial Grove.

I signed up with a charter called Island Ventures. I was ready to dive... I had paid for 2 boat dives on this wreck. The group I was with was 2 couples from the East Coast, a divemaster and skipper. We started heading out and the "divemaster" informed me he would not buddy up with me because he was a solo diver. I was irritated because I wanted to do some penatration but I was diving the Spegial...just being there would be great! I figured I would just tag a long with one of the other buddy groups.

We get toward the site and the skipper told us we were doing our first dive on the Duane instead. I was disappointed but went down and dove anyway. Then, on the 2nd dive, the other 4 people on the boat were complaining about it being too cold, too choppy and too much current so the skipper changed the 2nd dive to a shallow reef dive.

I was extremely upset. The others on the boat told me I should just come back and "dive it tomorrow". I told them it was my only day in the Keys and they said that "I shouldn't have planned my diving that way" I just wanted to slap them.

We got back in and the skipper solicited for tips (he got none from me) and then, while I didn't ask for a refund, I did ask him to fill my Nitrox tank. He was going to charge me! I was furious.

If you are planning on diving the Spegial, take a buddy with you and do not use Island Ventures in Key Largo. You may not get what you paid for.

So, I hope to make it back to dive the Spegial in October when I am in Miami for DEMA. Can anyone recommend a good charter company in Key Largo?

Amy

PinkPADIgal, me and a friend are diving the SG in July with Ocean Divers. If you call in advance and tell them what you want, they set the trip based on your desires, the others signing up afterwards, have to buy in to your dive plans. I will tell you how it goes when we get back.

Amy
The nex time you dive SG use It's a Dive in Marryot Hotel in Key Largo
Regards
Francisco

I did two dives on the Grove off of the boat ScubaDo, absolutely great time. The owners/operators were very friendly & proffesional, but then again, the manager of the dive shop I went with knew them, and we bought the whole boat. They asked us not to do any penetration other then a couple of easy swim-thrus. Dove on 32%, got 129' on the sand Post back if you are interested in more info on the boat, afriend of mine still has the contact #s.

I was hoping to get a dive on the SG while I was in Miame for DEMA too. Let me know what operation you choose. I may see if I can get on the same boat.

Bluewater Divers are a great op!! Pretty much you tell them where you are interested in diving and they will go there. Of course, they dive the Grove almost every day.

Great group of guys and alot of fun. Check them out at www.bluewaterdiver.net.

Reeflover

I did some nice dives on the Spiegel Grove last Monday and Tuesday with Silent World .

Good Capt. & crew with a laid back, but safe attitude. 14 passenger boat -- my favorite size.

On Tuesday we did the Spiegel the lazy man's way ---- Capt John dropped us in upcurrent from the stern buoy. At the end of our dive, we came up one buoy short of the bow, then drifted down to the boat that was now waiting downcurrent.

Since Silent World leaves from Snapper Creek at the far north end of Key Largo they do reef dives at some of the less heavily visited sites, such as Carysforth and Northern North Dry Rocks.

PinkPADIgal once bubbled...
So, I hope to make it back to dive the Spegial in October when I am in Miami for DEMA. Can anyone recommend a good charter company in Key Largo?

Amy

i'd go with Blue Water Divers.

my buddy and i spent 3 days diving with them over the 4th of July. we are wreck fanatics and got Brent and Cpt Marvel to take us to the Grove, Bibb and Duane.

they run a 6 pack, but i don't remember ever having a full boat. i think on a few trips it was just me and my dive buddy.

Brad

ReefGuy once bubbled...
PK, it's my understanding that the Grove was supposed to be dropped right side up, and ended up on it's side by accident. They tried to rite it, but failed. The reason they wanted it right side up, is because then it would be open to non-advanced divers (with the deck being around 60'). Being on it's side changed that.

Here is my understanding about what happened to the grove. Numerous organizations placed bids for the sinking of the grove, but of course the lowest bid got it (dont you love the government). Instead of having the Army Corps of Engineers do it for slightly more, they chose the cheapest company. After screwing up the charges and blowing holes in wrong locations, the spiegal grove sat almost upside down, submerged, but still floating. The US army corps of engineers were then called in to fix the situation. They managed to right the speigal grove as much as they could and set her on the bottom, but it was not in the same posistion as planned. The grove was supposed to set up right in calmer shallower waters. From what I hear now from other divers, the current can get bad on the grove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom