splashdown divers stay away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
Sunday July 8, 2007 I was operating a private recreational boat from which scuba diving was being done off Boynton Beach. We had a very scary situation arise due to the manner in which captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown Divers operated her commercial dive boat. We were preparing to drop two divers along a reef line in 60 feet. Apparently this captain felt that it was inappropriate for us to dive within about 100 yards of another dive flag which was apparently being pulled by some of here customers.

That's great news! I'm going to find them and use her boat the next time I'm in Florida.

If I found someone running a boat near my flag, the boat captian would be the least of their worries.

Terry

Web Monkey:
That's great news! I'm going to find them and use her boat the next time I'm in Florida.

If I found someone running a boat near my flag, the boat captian would be the least of their worries.

Terry

You sound very macho and especially brave! Their phone number is 877-724-2342, tell 'em dumpster sent you.

Actually I think macho is spearfishing where there are no other obvious divers. Especially ones not enjoying the art of spearfishing. Out there...alone...No other target but your dinner...Blood in the water. That's macho!

bullshark:
38 feet of deep-vee twin heft that make you want to cry for the poor people stuck on those little crusader hulls.

Stuck?? We all have a choice in the boats we dive on. None of us are "stuck". We made the choice to dive with better and more professional operators.

You sound like an advertisement for Splashdown. All I can say is at least Craig and Kevin are nice to the divers on their boat.
BTW, what are you doing over here?? Are things a little slow over on rec.scuba??

dumpsterDiver:
Sunday July 8, 2007 I was operating a private recreational boat from which scuba diving was being done off Boynton Beach. We had a very scary situation arise due to the manner in which captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown Divers operated her commercial dive boat. We were preparing to drop two divers along a reef line in 60 feet. Apparently this captain felt that it was inappropriate for us to dive within about 100 yards of another dive flag which was apparently being pulled by some of here customers.

When she observed that we were preparing to drop divers she came flying up in her Delta Dive boat and began screaming that no diver was going to enter the water along this reef with a speargun, since she had divers in the water in this area. We were drifting in neutral and she approached within 20 feet of our boat (While we had the diver down flag displayed).

We did not engage her in a discussion and essentially ignored her and put two divers in the water. The full extent of my conversation with her was “Have a Nice Day” (I was uncharacteristically subdued). This apparently further aggravated her and she then put the boat in gear a took off at a very past pace, driving over a bunch of reef that presumably had divers down on it and passed within 50 feet of other dive flags at a speed of probably 12 kts. As she drove off, we could hear the turbo(s) whining for quite a way.

I was a little upset about her arrogance and how close she drove her boat to ours, but what really upset me was the apparent total disregard for the safety of her own customers as she drove the boat over the reef and in close proximity to submerged divers. I worked as a divemaster on a similar dive boat in the local area for a number of years, I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a commercial charter boat capt, operate a vessel in such a reckless manner. In my opinion, she was clearly a threat to her own customers on Sunday morning July 8, 2007.

I did note that her divers were in small groups and each group was carrying a surface dive float and flag and that each float was attached to some light poly line, which was wound up on a line holder as the divers ascended. If everything works out perfectly, all divers will be ascending within just a few feet of the float, since they are winding line up as they ascend which means that they will normally ascend within 10 feet of the flag. Apparently, this Capt. Is willing to bet the lives of her customers on the assumption that no diver could have a problem, become separated from the individual carrying the float and be required to make an emergency ascent at a location somewhat distant from the flaot/flag.

I hope that everyone reads your note here, which appears to describe a very dangerous situation. But read it a bit more carefully...because, at first reading, this appears to be a nut case dive boat captain endangering everyone in the ocean...after giving it some thought.. a couple of comments:

1. You were "preparing" to drop divers. A reasonable translation of that is that you just got there. I assume you did that using your motors. Having another boat come over to you at that point is not dangerous.

2. You had your dive flag out, but no divers in the water, which to you means that this was dangerous. Unless you fly the dive flag all of the time, I would bet that you were putting it out as she approached.

3. She yells at you... That is a very aggresive act, and one that offended you. On the other hand, if she wanted to communicate something from a distance, it would be yelling. At 20 ft, it would have been talking, so I would suspect it was a bit farther.

4. You ignore her.. and put divers in the water..knowing for her to leave, she has to use her engines..the unsafe act is not hers at that point. Fast or slow, by the way, a prop can kill. And you did it, with her boat underpower, just 20 ft away.

5. She has to go out and around her divers, in order to be safe, and does so at a fast speed...faster than you believe she should.

While I know she will not respond to this thread, consider this:

What if, just what if, she put people down on the reef and they were drifting in the direction you were approaching. She keeps her boat behind all the drift divers, so is fairly far away, with flags between you and her.

She sees you approaching, gets worried about how close you are, and goes out and around her divers to get to you.

Yells at you.. you get mad.. she gets mad, and then has to take the giant out and around path to get to a safe area behind her divers.

What if, you did not see all the flags.. that they were drifting in your direction...now the unsafe person is you. I would doubt you would know that, or why she was so aggressive, so to you, this is wild person actions.

Note: During that same week on Splashdown, with divers in the water, I saw the boat do exactly that same action.. only this time it was the fireworks barge, headed directly over the top of the divers. The boat went out and around...blocked the path and would not move. I'm sure the tug captain was cursing the boat for making it turn. Afterwards, it went back behind the divers, not over the top of them.

It is also understandable, that angry, you perceive that everything she did was "dangerous", as she had accused you of that very same thing. But saying you are 100 yards away and then giving exact distances she was from a flag in ft, is silly.

Sounds a bit 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' to me. If I saw divers entering the water with spear guns on the same dive site as me and my students/divers, I wouldn't be very happy either - to say the very least ! Spear fishing on SCUBA is not exactly sporting is it either ??
dumpsterDiver:
However, when I personally spoke to a lady who gave her name and identified herself as the long-time owner and operator, it was obvious that complaining to her would be futile.
And maybe a bit scary ???

Bubble Junky:
Sounds a bit 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' to me. If I saw divers entering the water with spear guns on the same dive site as me and my students/divers, I wouldn't be very happy either - to say the very least ! Spear fishing on SCUBA is not exactly sporting is it either ??

And maybe a bit scary ???

But, it's the ocean. You have no particular right to use a place, do you? So if the other guy is 300 feet plus from any of your divers, do you have a right to complain just because you think that spearfishing on SCUBA is unethical? I'd also like to know how you can see spearguns from 300 feet away. You've got good eyesight! (I think. I believe that from 300 feet away, anything like that would look like a stick or a fishing pole or something.)

People are very creative about coming to the capt's defense, especially pufferfish. (I also would be skeptical if I read a report such as mine on the internet). It was an extremely unusual situation that I observed, that is why I posted it! Once more I will repeat, that I have had no business with this operator and honestly don't know anyone who has; this is not being posted because I have a history with this individual or because she was rude.

Some people may conclude that it was rude for me to drop a diver with a gun within 100 yards of a group of recreational divers and I can respect that opinion (even though there is no regulation against it). When she initially approached our vessel in an aggressive and intimidating manner, my divers were sitting on the gunnels ready to immediately drop in. If it was up to me, I would have moved the boat away and dove a different section of reef, however I was operating my friend's boat. The probability of being able to shoot fish between groups of recreational divers is slim, but my buddy chooses to always carry a gun. Both divers were very warm sitting in the sun and he chose to ignore her demands and entered the water.

I think that I have given an extremely accurate, detailed and unbiased description of the event.

The capt did not enganger my divers, only hers. I did not come within 250 feet of her divers, she did not need to run defense on me to protect her divers. However I would agree that sometimes dive boat operators must position their vessels aggressively to protect submerged divers from boats that do not see or respect the dive flag. I have done this many, many times myself. Again, this was not the case.

Let me make this simpler, she drove directly down the reef line, on top of it, parralel to it, between her own dive flags at a high rate of speed (the turbo's were whining), at one point she went flying past her one flag, at a distance of probably less than 30 feet. (I have no idea why pufferfish would say that it is silly for me to provide estimates of distance such as this). She did not take a big loop and go around the reef as I expected an experienced capt to do. I will not go into all the nuances of how to operate a live vessel around drifting submerged and floating scuba divers.

As to the question of me operating my dive boat in a dangerous manner around her divers: Well that was never mentioned by her or me, and even if I did endanger her divers, this would not be cause for her to ALSO endanger them. I was dropping my friend and his novice diver father; we never came too close to any of her dive flags. We approached the reef line extremely slowly and then had the boat in neutral for a couple of minutes as the wind gently pushed us toward the reef edge for a few minutes as they made final preparations to dive. We NEVER endangered her divers in any manner and she never endangered mine since she took off when my divers entered the water.

http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/diving_flag.htm

(6) Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

That means a slow approach to the reef is ok, a quick retreat acros the reef and over or near a dive flag is, not ok...

just my 2 psi

One thing I like about this board is that while we may disagree with or about whatever it IS civil.

Sounds like a fish sandwich and a margarita might solve the whole thing.

Good luck, and stay safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom