Split Fin vs Straight Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious as to what others thought as to whats better? In terms of speed, ease of use, energy conservation, use, etc..

Fernie I tried to research the same thing when I was looking to buy fins (I'm assuming your asking because your looking to buy one or the other) I got nothing but mixed responses, wasted a bunch of my time and ended up renting each on separate dives to see what worked for ME. It doesn't matter what worked for me in the end because you will most undoubtedly have different results as I had. I found that the fins that I liked didn't work for my fiance and we rented multiple fins until we found a pair that worked for her. What you will find is that each and every person here will have different fin requirements because they are pushing different amounts of mass through the water and their legs are all different strengths. I suggest you hold off on buying for a bit and physically try multiple fins before you buy.

In my time of research I found rumors saying split fins can't frog kick well or do a back kick but I have seen divers preform these kicks without any difficulties. What I did find though is that each fin had different weights and stiffness to them. The fins that I picked were too stiff for my fiance and found that she had a hard time keeping up on the surface swims, as a result she ended up getting cramps in her legs. We tried a fin with a softer kick and both of those problems were solved. I wanted to progress towards tech diving and was worried that soft fins may start to buckle as I add more tanks and weight to my set up.

What I'm trying to cement into place here is that I feel every person has different needs and requirements regarding fins and that there is no ONE good fin. Try a few and see what you like.

Have Fun! :)

They both work, so buy whatever one wishes to buy. The most important thing is LEARN HOW TO KICK. Yes, learn how to kick with your fins. The paddle fins require a different technique than the split fins.

Yes, you can do frog kicks with split fins but the question is why would you want to do that? There's no need to frog kick with split fins (a very like flutter flick of the ankle will do the same for split as would a frog kick do for solid) and that goes back to LEARN HOW TO KICK with your fins.

I'm a sworn split fin guy but I'm buying me a set of paddle just for giggles. It doesn't hurt to try to learn new things or new techniques.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom