split fins - good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollo Bio Fins (splits) are the best fin I have ever used. I can't imagine using Jets...they're incredibly uncomfortable/unusable for me. I have really high arches and the foot pockets are not accomodating.

Like Jets, the Bios are solid rubber and will last for a loooong time. They feel like nothing underwater, but they will propel you effortlessly. I find them great for surface swimming too, and anecdotal comparisons between me and my buddies shows they are a lot more efficient.

It's really a personal preference. Get your hands on both and try them. You could read about split/non-split debates all day (week? month?), but it still won't teach you anything. Both camps have people who think one or the other is "better". Splits are better for me.

Cheers :D

When I'm working at the dive shop, I almost always sell customers split fins. Most customers want ease of propulsion when flutter kicking, because that is the only kick they will ever do. The 1% that choose to go one and do technical diving, cave diving, or choose to expand their recreational diving to include frog kicking, helicopters, and back kicking will want Jet Fins or the like. But they usually have to see the benifit of these kicks before they are convinced (most often while taking a Cavern or GUE-F course).

As split fins go, the Apollo Bio Fin is great and so is the ScubaPro Twin Jet.

If you get accustomed to non-split fins and make the frog kick your primary kick, you will not want to go back. If you desire to flutter kick only, the split is a great choice.

I've used both. I had the stiffer Apollo BioFin XT and they were wonderful for your standard recreational straight-leg kick. I loved them. They are easy on the ankles and calves, and are very fast. Recently though I changed my kick style (thanks DIR/F) and do much more of the bent leg frog and modified flutter kicks, and the apollos just didn't work as well (can't to do a back kick with splits either), so I broke down and bought some jets. For straight leg flutter kicks (the kick that most divers do) they are rough. They're hard on the ankles and calf, and because they involve harder work they raise your gas consumption. However, they are unbeatable for bent knee frog kicks and the like. So, if you are going to be doing your standard swimmer's flutter kick, the splits are probably better. If you see yourself as more of a frog-kick person (or have any desire to take DIR/F) you might want to look into jets. Just my $.02.

A

Note that you don't have to go to either extreme. There are other nice paddle fins that you can use for both flutter and other kicks and are pretty maneuvarable, while being more foot and leg friendly than jets.

guys thank you so much for your input. I already own a set of jets and a pair of the long monstrosities that are a little more flexible. the biggest problem that i have with the jets is the darn heel strap and getting that adjusted but i have recently found out about stainless straps. I have discovered that the equipment is pricey and want to make intelligent choices. All the dive shops in my area are pushing the splits so.... I just thought that maybe there was something to them. I like having options and it sounds as if the jets give me more options in swimming techniques.

Oh, yes, get spring straps. Spring straps are the best thing since sliced bread. Really.

I regretted getting my split fins(I'm using a tusa xpert zoom split fin) it works fine in places without much currents,but they are pretty much slower in currents compared to normal fin,not even jets.Its too soft....shld have gotten a jet or a Apollo Bio spilt fin.
Darren

TSandM:
Oh, yes, get spring straps. Spring straps are the best thing since sliced bread. Really.

It's too bad the things cost more than the actual fins do. :)

A

I saw spring heel straps for $40, my Jets costed about $95 at my LDS (new, official SP dealer). How do you figure the straps cost more?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom