split fins - good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use Atomics split fins.
I have had the stiff beuchats for years , tried several mares and then discovered the atomics. all my other fins ended up in the dumpster out back.

what i like : the footpocket is oversized allowing the fin to grip the instep of your foot instead of your toes ( prevents chafing and blisters )
it is WIDE ( i have wide feet and most fins HURT ) i can only use soft booties. booties with a hard sole pinch me and i get cramps in my feet after 5 minutes. i tried mares volo's the very first dive with them gave me foot cramps after 5 minutes and legcramps after 10 minutes...
- the quick connect buckle. has not come loose once ( over 400 dives on these fins )
yet taking em off is easy. ( the mares buckle for instance is a nightmare )

- much easier to swim with. especially in current and against it. there is no drag
- neutral underwater ( your feet neither float nor sink )
- i can turn on the spot. most of the time i am frogkicking , using a modified cave kick ( knees bent so feet are above me ), or some weird kick that has no name but works for me ( some people ask me after the dive what the hell i was doing. but it works for me )

i do foto and videowork. my maneuverability is incredible with these fins. i can turn on the spot,flip over and do a backwards roll all in one ( effectively putting me into a head down position ( feet pointed to the surface ) looking forward. I frequently swim upside down , especially when along a ledge with undercuts. that way only my head touches the sand ( almost ) and i can take photo and video from a different angle. plus it doesn't scare the fish as much as seeing a full body. heckj with the splitfins i can even swim sideways.

I don't know about all fins. i have only used the stiff beuchats , the mares plana avanti and the volo and the atomic splitfin. right now i stick with the atomic splitfin
but i guess it all comes down to the kind of diving you want to do . splitfins in a cave might be a big nono ( snag hazard )

Footslogger:
==============================================
Can the length of these springs be adjusted ?? Just wondering how one size could fit all.

Thanks,

'Slogger
I wear size 10 shoes and have the 10" straps on both sets of fins and they fit my feet great. You could cut them shorter if you need to, but you really shouldn't have to unless you have tiny feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom