split fins - good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I saw spring heel straps for $40, my Jets costed about $95 at my LDS (new, official SP dealer). How do you figure the straps cost more?

Bought my fins online for $65, the straps I want are $80. It all depends on where you get it and what you want.

A

I was lucky enough to try out a few pairs of fins in a pool before I made my purchase at the LDS. I tried pretty much every pair they had. I must say the paddle fins were nice but some models felt like I had bricks tied to my feet. I tried split fins and found that some of them felt like I had nothing on my feet, and I like a little bit of resistance when I kick.

I ended up going with a pair of the black SP Twin Jets. I felt for me it gave me the best of both worlds. They are much stiffer then the yellow ones, and still have a bit of resistance to them when I kick. Im still a noob so Im sure after I get many more dives in I might change, but for right now these seem to do the trick for me.

Good luck with your purchase.

I have both the big black Jet fins and the gray Scubapro split fins, TwinJets.

The Jet fins have been through a lot of rough treatment, for more than 20 years. They hold up very well. But they are heavy and cause me to be 'foot heavy'. Also they give me leg cramps. I have 'bicycle legs', that is I used to do rides of over 100 miles occasionally and my average ride length was over 25 miles. When I got those cramps they hit pretty hard because I have a lot of leg strength.

I bit the bullet and bought TwinJets. They require much less force and I never get leg cramps. I love em. The regular Jets give you easier turning when stopped and also allow you to back up a bit. The Twin Jets don't do those things as well, but they do give me freedom from leg cramps.

I got em at Scubatoys or Leisurepro, can't remember which one, but sure am glad I got em. I don't use the Jets anymore, I'll keep em forever though.

When I started we used 'demolition fins', aka 'udt fins', aka 'duck feet'. They are back in production, bodysurfers use them. I might get some for nostalgia. Want some good, high quality, rigorous leg cramps? Just get some demolition fins!

I am certainly not the best conditioned athlete anymore, but I never get cramps from my fins. What kind of finning are you guys doing? How much ground are you covering? I find now that my most common propulsion is mod-frog. Which is basically just a step up from ankle sculling.

I'm pretty much a Jet Fin person now. I also have spring straps and agree that they're the one of the greatest thing since sliced bread (notice how I qualify it!!).

I also have the Atomic Split Fins and like them. If you're going to get a split fin, get one of the stiffer varieties like Atomics and that way you have a reasonable compromise between paddle fins and split fins. In my comparison test which I posted earlier, the Jet Fin was slightly faster, but the difference wasn't great.

For my Jets, I dealt with the foot pocket issue by inserting a pair of those Spenco 2/3 foot arch supports into my booties - that way not all of the stress is being put on the middle of my foot when I kick (can get them at places like Dick's Sporting Goods). Either that, or use one of those booties like the Henderson Octropic which have arch support and a stiff sole and are thin enough to fit into the Jet pocket. Of course, the Octropic is only usable in the tropics - I haven't found a full bootie that has the arch support and stiff sole like the Octropic and yet is still thin enough to fit in my Jets. I wish some company would do that and have it available in 3, 5, and 7 mm.

Well I just bought my first pair of Apllo Bio Fins in "YELLOW" and am looking forward to trying them out next week in Key largo. I have been diving for over 10 years and have use only cheep stright fins and my fins were so out of shape that I finally broke down and bought the bio fins from scuba toys. My dive buddys about feel over because of the bright yellow of the fins due to the fact that most of ny gear is black and in the murky waters of mid missouri they have a hard time seeing me at more than a few feet away. I have tried the frog kick and a few others but I have a hard time due to the fact that it hurts my knees and am not use to it. So I am hoping they work better, but I know that when I dive in the rivers around here I will still wear my hard stright fins.

okay so i'm going to stick with the two sets of fins i've got now but i wanna know about the stainless strapa for the jets.... i've seen strap sets with one strap on each heel and ones with two straps on each heel. which are better

I chose Atomics as the best compromise (for me) between Jets and the softer/pliable split fins.
I can frog kick fine in them. The blade is pretty stiff. The length does sometimes make me pine for a shorter version but 95% of the time they''ve been great, including in fairly strong (1 knot to 2 knot) current.

I love the old paddle fin Jets but I cramp in them also. I lift weights (squats) and walk a couple of miles most days and supplement with potassium but still cramped.

If I ever get into tech or wreck diving I'll wear Jets or Turtles.

Here you go! $38 plus shipping. I have a set on my large and a set on my x-large jets.

Robert Phillips:
Here you go! $38 plus shipping. I have a set on my large and a set on my x-large jets.
==============================================
Can the length of these springs be adjusted ?? Just wondering how one size could fit all.

Thanks,

'Slogger

Back
Top Bottom