Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even a flutter kick doesn't have to stir up the bottom if you are trimmed well ... usually when I see the bottom getting kicked up it's because someone is diving at a 45* angle :(

Lots of variables go into good finning technique.

adza:
Do split fins create more of a wake / turbulence than normal fins? (I've heard some say that they may kick up more silt than normal fins in wrecks / caves, etc - but don't know if it was just someone mouthing off or not) :wink:

A lot of the hard core wreck divers I know in Sydney use splits. I have to assume they stir up no more silt than paddles.

adza:
Do split fins create more of a wake / turbulence than normal fins? (I've heard some say that they may kick up more silt than normal fins in wrecks / caves, etc - but don't know if it was just someone mouthing off or not) :wink:

The flutter kick can stir up silt because it pushes water towards the bottom where silt resides, and split fins are best for flutter kicking hence they are not ideal for silty environments. You can of course use non-silting techniques like the frog kick with them as well but it won't be as efficient as with rigid paddle fins.

I have splits (SP Twin Jets) that I use in the summer (because they fit with my neoprene boots) and a standard type fin in the winter (because they fit my dry suit boots) - and to be perfectly honest, there is little difference in silting that I notice. I can flutter or frog kick effectively in the splits, and while there isn't very much "silt" in the ocean, there is sand on the bottom, and when I swim close to the bottom, I don't really stir up much, because my feet are above my body.
It's (splits are) more efficient with a flutter kick, or I should say, the splits will push you through the water much faster in a flutter kick, but frog kicks work fine, and keep me up with my buddy quite easily. If I need to get somewhere in a hurry, I flutter kick. I can also do backwards kicks with my split fins too. The bottom line is... If YOU like the way split fins perform, use them. Use what works for your style of diving.

If people make judgements about you because of your gear, that's just plain stupid. We have all heard about judging a book by its cover :wink:

adza:
I have seen some strange turbulence from split fins. It seems like they shed a vortex that can travel for a longer distance than the normal turbulence from a flat fin. If you have an negatively buoyant diver (either overweighted, or even properly weighted but just without enough air in the BCD to compensate for wetsuit compression) that is having to fin upward to maintain depth, then it is quite possible for this vortex to travel quite a ways to the bottom, making distinct "puffs" of silt where the vortex hits.

If the diver is properly trimmed, then the vortex goes off horizontally and there isn't any problem.

I used a pair of atomics for years doing tech dives with no problem. I actually liked them for better for frog kicks than one piece because I felt they were more responsive to smaller movements. I stopped using them for two reasons - first they're a PITA on boats if you've got to walk out the back because they flop around and get caught in everything, and second because monofilament on the wrecks I dive tends to get caught in the split and burrows into the rubber so I have to stop and cut.

Other than that, splits are great. If I go elsewhere to dive, they come with me.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've since heard that the reason the guys who told me not to get them don't really like them, is because they're concerned about the split getting caught in the life line when cave diving. They still believe that silting is an issue (although I'm not convinced atm), but said either way - they still wouldn't use them in caves due to safety - which I can understand. Guess it's not an issue if you're not planning on going into caves. :)

Cheers

Charlie99:
I have seen some strange turbulence from split fins. It seems like they shed a vortex that can travel for a longer distance than the normal turbulence from a flat fin. ..... If the diver is properly trimmed, then the vortex goes off horizontally and there isn't any problem.

I'm not sure I fully agree with you. I'v noticed that even with proper trim the votecies tend to drop towards the bottom. I think ( and it's only a guess ) that they are a little like the wingtip vortex generated by aircraft, the vortexes move outwards and downwards. Even in a 'frog' (or sideways) type kick Splits have the same effect.

As far as the silting... Check out one of the videos on Apollo's page http://apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Videos.htm

They show a diver darn near dragging themselves along a silty bottom with no disturbance. I lead groups of new divers in silty bottom conditions all the time, and I don't silt up behind me... and it seems even new divers do better against silting with the splits. Of course, techniques can assist any fin for this - but again, I'd take the splits if silting was a major issue.

scubatoys:
... I'd take the splits if silting was a major issue.

I can't take it anymore. Someone please... say.... something.

Back
Top Bottom