Spring straps really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen these straps used by some other divers and I guess I'm not sure of all of the advantages, are they that much eaiser to remove before re-boarding the boat,are they more durable than the rubber?

They'll never break & they don't get entangled. Plus they're very comfortable.

I used to think getting a fin strap entangled was one of those non-issues that never happens. But last year alone I had 2 buddies, my wife & a guy in my club, get a line tangled on a fin strap so badly that they could not get free without help.

I have had & seen several regular straps break (and sometimes the plastic buckles do). They never break at a good time & sometimes it results in a lost fin. A spare strap is cheap. A spare strap assembly comeplete with buckles, for one fin, is not. A pair of them usually will buy a set of spring straps & put an end to the problem for the life of the fins.

Spring straps look cool, but I have solved the entanglement problem by duct taping the strap to itself so the loose part does not flap. This also prevents the strap from coming loose if there was a problem with the locking mechanism. Yes, it is the poor mans route, but it is a valid fix.

I think eventually everyone will have spring straps. However, you should know there are alternatives if you are a loser.

-V

Spring straps! You'll wonder what took you so long

Innovative scuba has a good line. I wish I had them long ago. I would say if you are getting on and off drifts in rough seas, they are really a huge plus. Since having your fins off in full kit is pretty precarious, being able to do it nimbly, priceless. Going through the surf zone on shore dives, same thing. For placid water on moorrings, maybe not nearly as important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom