Spring straps really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are unsure weather you will like them or not, try replacing the rubber strap with a piece of bungee (1/2" or so) they will give a similar feel/functionality as ss spring straps. If you like them, then get a pair of spring straps :D

Aloha, Tim

Spring straps are one of my favorites. It is much easier to remove them before getting on the boat. I got mine for around $40 from my LDS.

Interesting timing for this question...

I loaned my jets with spring straps to my buddy last week. He came back raving about the spring straps just for the convenience alone. Ironically, we went diving today in very rough seas with a strong current and his plastic buckle broke. Before he could even turn to see where his fin went, it was gone ( 5' vis) and he was stuck with about a 500 yd surface swim with only 1 fin.

It would be very hard to imagine this happening with spring straps.

BTW, you can get Innovative Spring Straps on divesports.com for about $35 bucks.

Spring straps look cool. I don't think rubber straps are likely to break in a current. The metal sure does look nice and is probably better however I doubt that people are out there losing jet fins often.

original.jpg

-V

Spring Straps - one of my most satisfying pieces of equipment.

They can be pricy, but are well worth the convenience of quick donning and doffing of fins in all kinds of situations.

One of the best $50 I've spent in scuba.

I use plain rubber straps on my Jets. Nothing could be easier to put on or take off. Nothing could be more comfortable. They do break every few years, but it'll take many many years to pay for a pair of spring straps.

When I bought my fins I bought a spare replacement strap/buckle at the same time. Since joining the board I admit that spring straps look like a good thing. I decided to wait though until one of my original straps broke so I could use my spare first! As that hasn't happened yet it'll take a bit longer for me to change. I don't see any point in replacing a perfectly well functioning piece of gear.

I had so much trouble getting in and out of my fins at the beginning, and I lost fins repeatedly. Spring straps solved both problems. They are well worth the money in my book -- every set of fins my husband and I own now have them, and our friends, after seeing ours, have gotten them, too.

I agree with TS&M. If I could get my fins on easily, they were too loose and often came loose as I did my giant stride (fortunately they were positively buoyant). If they were tight enough to not come loose upon entry, I had trouble getting them off at the end of the dive. When I got my new Jetfins, I knew I couldn't risk losing one on entry since it would sink like a brick, so I went with the spring straps that have the rubber cover/tab. They not only made putting them on a snap, but taking them off is just as easy and they were super comfortable while diving. I'll never go back to rubber straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom