SSI Nitrox Course

Do you have your regulator cleaned prior to switching from air to nitrox?

• YES!!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just looking on atomic's website and noticed the following:

For the M1, no special cleaning is required when switching back and forth from air to nitrox up to 50%. Over 50% up to 80% they recommend using the M1 soley for nitrox.

The rest of the atomic pack(Z1 T1 etc.), they do not recommend using nitrox after air unless the reg has been specially cleaned...

Why the differences??

-Adam

So who got an F on the trick question and said yes you need to O2 clean your reg for basic nitrox?

Fess up!

And then turn in your basic nitrox card. :)

ScubaRon once bubbled...

The paragraph you quote on page 10 pertains to using Nitrox after Nitrox. For using Nitrox after Standard Air page 9 states
"Do not switch between EAN and standard compressed air, as compressed air may contain traces of hydrocarbons which could contaminate your regulator system with potentially flammable residues incompatible with EAN. If you use or test this regulator with compressed air, it must be re-cleaned before EAN use."

If it is CYA, there must be a reason for it...
:snorkel:ScubaRon

You're right, I'm gonna die or shouldn't I be dead already? :mean:

Seriously, CYA in this case just means that they think some moron might sue them. We do live in a country where people try to get rich quick using the court system.

A little more info though, you can get a Nitrox fill of up to 40% at several LDS that I know of without having an O2 sticker on your tank, I wonder why that is? BTW they use the membrane system.

Also I would be inclined to argue that there is no such thing as O2 clean after 1 use of any regulator or tank. I've been in O2, static free clean rooms and believe me the back of dive boat does not even remotely qualify. :wink:

iflyprops once bubbled...
For the M1, no special cleaning is required when switching back and forth from air to nitrox up to 50%. Over 50% up to 80% they recommend using the M1 soley for nitrox.

The rest of the atomic pack(Z1 T1 etc.), they do not recommend using nitrox after air unless the reg has been specially cleaned...

My guess is that this is because they use Monel components in the 1st stage. Monel is highly resistent to combustion and melting and I expect that this explains the difference.

ScubaRon once bubbled...

My guess is that this is because they use Monel components in the 1st stage. Monel is highly resistent to combustion and melting and I expect that this explains the difference.

And brass is combustible? Come on dude. The ONLY regulator I've ever heard of that had a problem was years ago with titanium and 80%. If something is going to burn its going to be the o-ring and lube.
Maybe you can check your book of far-fetched reasons for non-problems and come up with something else?

And just for kicks, you don't need viton o-rings for EAN, or O2 for that matter. They just last longer than buna.

I think thats enough of this thread...

MechDiver once bubbled...
You might bother to search the hundreds of threads here on this subject and see what the consensus is. I am hardly alone in my opinion.
MD,
I am very aware of the opinions but also know that many of the divers I personally know read a marketing statement that their reg is "EAN 40 compatible" and interpret that as not having to worry about cleaning. There is no doubt that combustion is a serious risk when using Nitrox and accidents were abundant in the early days. Most of them during the charging phase, which are pretty easy to establish.

Combustion in regulators, hoses and SPG's is harder to identify. For me the fact that so many manufacturers and organization warn against switching between air and EAN is sufficient indication that the risk is real. I believe that the better manufacturers have tested this, I doubt that many of the board members have. Therefore for me this is not a "majority" question, but I respect your and everyone else's opinion.

iflyprops once bubbled...
I was just looking on atomic's website and noticed the following:

Why the differences??

-Adam

The technical agencies have come up with the consensus that, given the materials in the standard scuba regulators, especially the high pressure seats, no special procedures are required, up to 40% O2, FOR MOST REGULATORS. Above that, the regulator should be cleaned and O-ringed with O2 compatible O-rings, such as viton. There are certain regulators with HP seat materials that are not compatlble with high concentrations of O2 at high pressures.

It is wise of you to both ask the question, and do the research!=-)

MechDiver once bubbled...
And brass is combustible?
Brass is generally considered "oxygen safe" up to 3000 psi/200 bar. Higher pressures mean an increased chance of introducing (combustible) particles in the system. That is where SS or alloys like monel are recommended.
I am trying to be factual so everyone can draw their own conclusions: where are your opinions coming from?

BigJetDriver, which agencies?

ScubaRon once bubbled...

where are your opinions coming from?

They aren't "opinions". I actually USE this stuff, as do a number of my diving buddies. I also blend nitrox and trimix, as well as use 100% O2. As none of us have had our heads blown off yet, I would take that as meaning we're not complete idiots and can figure out the difference between <40% and >40% and PP blending and CB.

I also have enough sense to realize manuals are primarily spin control these days. Case in point. I just bought an SPG, and out of total boredom last night, read the multipage manual for it. Doing so, I learned that my SPG had been "calibrated" with "european air" and I could not use it with anything else without dire harm to my body. Being a good little boy and always believing my friendly manual, I installed the gauge on one of my regulators, put it on a tank of 50%, left the room and asked my wife to check the pressure "in that tank". As I am not now a widower, I think the manual may have put too much value on "european air".

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom