SSI Stress & Rescue Course vs PADI Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either course will be, at least if its taught correctly, very physically demanding. If you're not in at least reasonably good shape with good endurance, you may have trouble.

I remember you posted not too long ago regarding needing large amounts of weight. This is something you definately want to work on before a rescue course. You won't make it with 40 lbs around your waist unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or similar.

Rescue is likely the best course in diving as far as learning real-world useful skills. Have fun :)

Tom

Well, I took my rescue class through SSI and I now DM for some PADI rescue classes. The programs are very similar, the big difference is the instructor. I know that always seems to be the answer when it comes to training questions but it's true. The basics are the same for both SSI and PADI, it's how it's taught that matters. I've seen some Rescue classes that were 2 nights in the class room, no pool work and 1 day in OW. I've also seen 2 or 3 nights in the classroom, pool work and an entire weekend of OW. If it were me I would want the more exstensive course.

Rescue is probably the most important class I have taken. A lot of what I was taught in the DM program built on the knowledge from rescue so in my opinion more is better.

Scott

Reactions: Doc

You won't make it with 40 lbs around your waist unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or similar.

My wife had to borrow a neoprene drysuit for the course while her tri-lam was in for changing the boots. She had to load 40lbs into her weight intergrated BCD to sink because of the added buoyancy and different undergarments.

We also learned very quickly that the order in which you undo the straps on the Seaquest Raider BCD is very important. If you undo the chest and waist straps, the intergrated weights drop underneath you like a stone and the shoulder strap release is trapped underneath your armpits making it a real challenge to undo and get off while rescue breathing.

Second note, don't overinflate the back-inflate BCD's unless you want your victim to float face down in the water.

Helpful hints from someone who just finished!

The course materials may be the same however it is cert. in Padi and considered a specialty in SSI.
I am only pointing out a some trivial information....not starting an agency vs agency battle.
It seems that the same course or certification name can be used by two agencies however show a really big difference in ability and training.
In this case.. Stress/ rescue may be ONE of the FOUR required Specialty courses needed for SSI ADVANCED diver. While at another agency you take the OW plus read five chapters of an Adventure book and make five dives to be Advanced diver. Rescue is another Certification of its own as the next plateau.
We all tell new divers that it does not matter what agency you go with...It is all about the quality of the Instructor. Are we really telling the truth?
I did not make this statement to start a battle or agency bashing:huh:

Dectek,

Your post explains part of the difference between SSI & PADI Advanced (PADI no longer officially calls it "Advanced") programs. When completing the rescue class with either agency, you receive a specialty certification. There is no difference in that aspect. I, personally, do not know enough about either agency's rescue program to comment on how they differ.

Any time anyone tells you agencies are the same, they are misleading you. This could be intentional or because they are misinformed. There are big differences between agencies. If you know of specific differences in the actual course material between PADI and SSI rescue courses, this would be an excellent time to point them out.

The skills are for all intents & purposes identical between the two courses, but there is a subtile difference in the underlying emphasis of the two - SSI leans more toward accident prevention through early recognition of stress and the chain of events that could lead to one (hence the earlier comment that Lawman made about a bit too much emphasis on the "stress" issue) while PADI is quicker to get right to the Rescue aspect.
However, depending on the instructor, one could pass for the other. NAUI throws in a bunch of timed distance swims (and has an "Advanced Rescue Diver" rating); I'm not sure about YMCA (Walter?).
Rick

Rick, I'm at work and can't get into this in as much detail as it deserves. I'll explain the YMCA SCUBA Lifesaving and Accident Management (SLAM) course this evening.

This might be a good area for the certifying agencies
to get together and come up with a standard
rescue class with a standardized curriculum.

Might be a good new thread.

Lawman,

Why? So all the courses will drop to the quality of the poorest course out there? Or perhaps you are suggesting a situation such as now exists with the OW class where agencies meet or exceed minimum standards. All that has accomplished is each agency still has it's own standards and most people incorrectly believe they are the same. I see no advantage and lots of disadvantages to your proposal.

Let me explain: Rescue is a common interest to all divers.
There shouldn't be doctrine differences between the
certifying agencies on something like this anymore than
there would be on first aid. Everyone wants to see
divers having at least minimal training in rescue. There
is no reason the agencies can't establish a standard
curriculum that would ensure a Rescue grad had
certain minimal skills. That's what I'm advocating
not a reduction in skill level. If I'm paired with
someone that has passed Rescue I will know that
they have certain skills reguardless of agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom