St. Andrews jetty dive- seek buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'd like to dive St. Andrews Jetty sometime between Jan.2 and March 20, seek a buddy (I dived there a few years back). I will be staying in Destin at this time. Anyone interested could PM me. Thanks.

i dove there last week and it was excellent. i have no way of knowing if i can make those dates this far out, but ill keep it in mind if i can.

I'm sure I can make it over in February. We actually made a 'thing' out of it for a year or two: camped at St. Andrews, dove the jetties, froze our butts off! Wonderful time! Remind me closer in, and we'll make it happen.

I'll make note of these replies. Thanks. DocCarl: I also plan a day over at the Perdido Pass jetties. Last year it was too rough to dive along the (West) jetty, so I went to that little park and dived near the bridge--boring & shallow there. When the tide is slack I'd like to try again to do the jetty dive--noticed you're close by in Mobile, if you're interested in that as well.

I'd like to dive St. Andrews Jetty sometime between Jan.2 and March 20, seek a buddy (I dived there a few years back). I will be staying in Destin at this time. Anyone interested could PM me. Thanks.
I spend January/February in the panhandle and am always game to dive St. Andrews. I actually spend a couple of weeks in the St. Andrews State Park campground. Give a shout and we can set up a dive or two.

Hey DocCarl.... Sounds like a Jettyfest revival??

James

When you come this way, I'd love to meet up and do a dive or two. There is an artificial reef off Pensacola Beach, that might be worth a dive, also right down the road is the Ft. Pickens Jetties, another cool dive if the conditions are right. Also, the LDS here usually has a night dive at the artificial reef about every Tuesday. Can be fun, but it does attract a lot of newly certified OW divers.

jbm, sounds good. I'll probably contact you when we get donw there.
jasonb751, I did dive Ft. Pickens last winter. Not bad. I'd probably be interested in checking out the P'cola artificial reef-- how far a swim to it? Any problems collecting live shells (molluscs)?

TMHeimer,

Here is the info from the FWC regarding sea shells: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sea-shells/

There are a few artificial reefs that have been placed around Santa Rosa Island. The one currently being discussed will require a surface swim of about 90-100 meters. It's located between Navarre and Pensacola Beach, near the Portifino Resort.
I'll find a map and some pictures of the site when I've got access to my laptop.

There's another artificial reef that was placed off Navarre beach just a few weeks ago it should be very similar to the older one located to the west, however I think this new site has more structure.

There are at least three more placed on the north side of Santa Rosa island, in the the sound / bay. It's likely that those three sites may have vis in the 3-5 cm. range, though.

Edit:

Here's the info on what a lot of us call the 'Portifino X-mas Trees'

**2nd Edit:It appears that link no longer works.. . I've uploaded the .pdf to the Gulf Coast Dive Society Facebook Page. Let me know if there's any trouble viewing it.**
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gcds1/251484431640650/

The 'trees' didn't quite land in a straight line:)

The installed the structures in two phases. Here's a satellite view earlier on:
Portifino - early.jpg
And now, after all the structure has been placed:
Portifino - Recent.jpg

I'm still looking for the drawings of the Navarra reef that was just installed. There out there, somewhere:) In the mean time, here's some info about the site: http://www.navarrebeachmarinesanctuary.com/?p=1668

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom