Starlink Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing but good reviews about Starlink from the bottom of our country to the top
couldn't talk to people comfortably before especially in weather now they got it
and it is like we're talking in the same house but I'm not sure that is good either

$140 per mth in Australia = $90 USD

I've used starlink at airbnb's all over the high spring area to be able to work remotely while down there. It's been super consistently good, assuming clear LOS to the north.

Try some direct burial Cat8 cable
If I run the cable 50 yards from my modem will the signal strength be degraded at the other end?

Would this solution be better than a wireless bridge, disregarding cost?

I've used starlink at airbnb's all over the high spring area to be able to work remotely while down there. It's been super consistently good, assuming clear LOS to the north.
How big of a "hole" to the sky would I need to have adequate LOS?

Once the dish is locked on to the service does it "move" or "track" or does it remain aimed at one specific angle?

Once the dish is locked on to the service does it "move" or "track" or does it remain aimed at one specific angle?
The dish moves as it tracks satellites.

It's difficult to quantify exactly how big of a "hole" you need. Mine is on top of a building, which has trees on several sides, and is somewhat near the top of a hill. You could always take a pole-saw and trim back some of the nearby trees to help. Any means of raising the StarLink farther off the ground would also help, suck as a pole of some sort or a taller building.

If I run the cable 50 yards from my modem will the signal strength be degraded at the other end?

Would this solution be better than a wireless bridge, disregarding cost?
Starlink does have a "mesh" networking capability if you buy a second base unit. Positive would be a unit on hand in case the primary is fried/dies. Downside is that I would be surprised if you could get a fast, solid link at 50M even if both were sitting in facing windows - you might search for others real-world experiences.

You will have to add the Starlink wired-ethernet adapter if you plan to do any wired networking at all.

If you are going to string a hard P2P connection, I'd consider just going with a fiber link for lightning isolation. Just nosing around Amazon, a couple of Gigabit Ethernet to fiber converters and 50M of outdoor fiber should run you <$250.

Whatever media you use (copper or fiber), If you are going underground, I'd pull it through some sort of "pipe." I'd probably just use some 3/4" polyethylene irrigation pipe. You could also use it for the run to the dish. Probably <$250 for 400ft which would cover both runs.

100 degree field of view laterally starting from about 10 degrees above the horizon.

It moves in one plane.

I think if you download the app you can use the tool to assess the installation using the camera without being a subscriber but I’m not sure

I have starlink for travel and work. It is good when you need it, just pricey. I picked up a Verizon 5g box to try as it is significantly less expensive. (My starlink is on the RV plan so I stop and start as needed.) I share WiFi with my neighbor. We got a good mesh system and havent had any trouble. Before we upgraded our system we placed a mesh box in the middle and the connection hopped across. With the new gear we dont need the intermediate one any longer. At the airport I installed a directional Ubiquiti antenna and pick up the internet from the FBO Office and relay it into my hangar. It works well too. There are plenty of wire free methods to beam connection 50yds.

I don't know how it works, but it works on a rocking boat and strapped to the roof of my van going down the interstate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom