Starlink Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not constipated. :wink:
It's how I connect my house, my shop, the Ag Shed and Dan's Barndominium together. It won't attract lightning, which is a problem here.

Fiber is the easiest answer for connecting two separate buildings, especially in a part of the world where lightning is a little more common. Plus, it’s extremely future proof - if you’re burying something in the ground, spend a tiny bit more on the equipment to ensure you won’t have to replace it again in 10 years.

For the ISP side, have you looked at T-Mobile or Verizon 5G home internet? Obviously, depends on local network coverage and capacity, but performance (on average) across Florida is excellent for T-Mobile, and on average, both 5G home systems are better performing than Starlink. Plus, half the price (or less).

No experience with Starlink .....but we do live in the boonies with no fiber or even cable available and so we tried Hughesnet. The main problem for us was that the tiny bit of latency on the signals 800 mile round trip to the sat messed with the VPN. Might want to look into that..

No experience with Starlink .....but we do live in the boonies with no fiber or even cable available and so we tried Hughesnet. The main problem for us was that the tiny bit of latency on the signals 800 mile round trip to the sat messed with the VPN. Might want to look into that..
With all respect…it’s 2024, there are much better options available than Hughes, or any other geostationary satellite provider. Quite literally any other option (Starlink included) will be significantly better.

I don't really know about it??
Verizon and T-Mobile both sell home internet that’s delivered by their wireless network. You get an in-home cellular modem/Wi-Fi router, the same as you would from any wired ISP, but you don’t have to plug it into cable or fiber or the telephone line.

Speeds are very variable, depending on coverage and local network capacity, but they can be as fast as 450 Mbps down/50 up, in ideal conditions. It’s very hard to estimate what your service would be without testing the network locally, but you can get free trials of both, and for my money, it could potentially be cheaper and better than Starlink.

For T-Mobile specifically, if speeds are steady but slower than you’d like (ie a constant 20Mbps down), you can also get external antenna kits that will improve signal quite significantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom