Start drooling...C5060 coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i did get the 5050 about 2 weeks ago and being i have always only had a cheeeeep point and shoot, i have a lot to learn using this camera so the newest one wouldnt help me much anyway. :)

steve

may completely negate the value of the high-def video mode....

digitaldiver once bubbled...
Why oh why did they switch to a proprietary battery pack? They'll say it was for better battery life. I say it was to sell battery packs. I guess if you never leave home or at least never leave a major metro area, this isn't a big deal. But I've never been anywhere in the world I couldn't lay my hands on a few sets of AA's in a pinch. I doubt you will be able to say the same about the new 5060 battery.

Ive tried using the 5050 with ordinary AAs and they hardly last a minute. I expect the 5060's fast AF and startup time uses more juice than the 5050.

Mine, with a set of 2100mah NiMHs, last for two full 60 minute dives, shooting video, and nearly filling the CF with it with full-time AF turned on - which turns out to be about 50 minutes of footage. That includes some "still" shots as well; those eat the batteries, as the flash power is a big part of the total consumption (the LCD screen is as well)

There is plenty of power left when I am done for the day.

I've yet to run out of power on the boat.

"Ordinary" AA's would only be in a pinch. I believe most 5050 shooters, myself included, use NiMh rechargeable batteries. I would be amazed if the proprietary pack metered out any beefier than a set of 2200 NiMh's. Same batteries and charger for both camera and strobes is another benefit.

From what I see, I am not drooling nor am I thinking about returning my new 5050 and wait for the 5060 yet.
A few nice improvements but also quite a few setbacks.
I'll take my chances with the trustworthy 5050 :)

I agree with ssra30. You win some, lose some. The reduced shutter lag and wide(r) lens is very tempting though, especially for UW.
Other thing is the 640x480 movie mode. That's darn close to DV quality. It will EAT CF card space, yielding about 15 minutes on a 1GB card, but with card capacities going up this won't remain a problem for long.
Yeah, but from the specs. it looks like it can only do 39sec bursts of it. What a shame. I had the opportunity to shoot with the 640 video on the Sony P10 and I must say I was impressed by the quality when viewed on a TV.

this link shows more views of the camera:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/olympus_09292003_c5060_pr.html

Yes battery packs are proprietary but once you buy a spare there should be plenty of juice for any assignment. I juggle battery packs between my Canon G2 and 10D and love how fast I can toss in a fresh charge vs dealing with multiple AA's especially shooting F1 and Champcars :)

may be limited by the card they include.

They quoted the same sort of thing on the 5050, but it is in fact unlimited - provided you have the room on the card.

I have shot 10+ minute sequences on the 5050.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom