starting out, what brands do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My choice is Scubapro for almost all of my gear. I do have Tusa split fins with spring straps. I have 3 wetsuits and it is important to get one that fits well. Same with a mask. Nothing worse than diving with your nose smashed up against the mask or a leaky one. The most important thing about your gear is to take care of it properly.

Go to your local dive shop and see what they recommend. Some shops have used gear or know of someone who wants to sell something. I would be careful about buying from Craigs List or Ebay. You don't want to buy someone else's old stuff. Your BC and especially your regulator are your life support. Chose carefully, and good luck with your diving career.

Well I got certified, loved it and to avoid wasting rental money I just bought everything. Thanks a lot for the tips everyone. For whats its worth, I might as well list what I ended up getting.....

Excel wetsuit, hood, gloves

Atomic z2
Atomic ss1 air II
Atomic Split fins
H20 booties
Atomic goggles
3.5" knife
Uwatec dive computer + gauges, console.
tilos snorkle
zeagle stilleto bcd

I can't wait to go dive again tomorrow!

Nice choices Chris...everything that you bought is good equipment IMO. Now enjoy it and go make some bubbles.:D

~Michael~

Here's my $.02:

Buy a Worldwide brand for your electronic or mechanical life support. You may need parts or service out in the middle of who knows where. Aqualung, Scuba Pro, Oceanic, Mares, Cressi and their sister companies seem to be pretty universal from where I've been. That's not an all inclusive list, there are others in this category.

Someone above has a problem with Pinnacle wetsuits. I have 2 and love them, the Merino-lined are my favorite.

As a new open water diver, I'd suggest split-fins with spring straps and a hose console computer/pressure gauge. I did so and also bought OMS Slipstream fins and a wrist mounted AI computer later. I currently pick fins based on the dive, and use my console as a backup computer/pressure gauge/compass to the wireless wrist mount computer. Both computers I purchased are the same brand so I get familiarity of design and algorythm not to mention same spare battery (Oceanic VEO200 and VT4 in my case)

For those on a 1 thing at a time budget, I recommend buying life support first after mask, fins, snorkel which I assume you have already. Regulators, computer, BCD, wetsuits in that order. Those purchases are in reverse order of what I feel most comfortable renting.

Cochran computers are nice they have an aggressive profile so be careful but as a new diver you will probably be doing saw-tooth dives and Cochran will not lock out on you, But just because your computer is still working and you still have air is not a reason to stay in the water if you blow your dive profile

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 01:17 PM ----------

oops I thought I was on the last page of the forum Have fun diving !!!!

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 01:21 PM ----------

Nice choices Chris I also dive with Atomic and
zeagle
I have the first Atomic they came out with and my
zeagle is over 20 years old, I just had to replace the bladder great BCs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom