Starting Rescue Diver Program!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy:
So, I'm starting my Rescue Diver certification. (Woo hoo!!) For those of you have completed it -> Looking back retrospectively....is there anything you wish you had known before doing Rescue Diver? Did you jump right in after Advanced or wait? Any words of wisdom, advice?

((I personally waited and got a handful of dives under by belt before signing up.))

Thanks!

Thanks for asking this question Lexy - I start my rescue course on Monday. So I'm interested in the answers you're getting here too. I guess I'll be the biggest guy in the class (just me and the instructor so far) so that will be to my benefit :wink:

Tim

Kim:
The main thing I remember from my rescue course was the girl who was doing it with me (she was the dive shop owners girlfriend). Although she was diving every day and had way more dives than me, when we first tried the buddy breathing she had forgotten how to do it and bolted for the surface. She got it all right on the second attempt but was extremely embarrassed about the whole thing and we had to promise not to tell her boyfriend!
Apart from that, as others have said, I hope you don't get too big a person to rescue!

Yep, they don't teach that anymore......wouldn't mind being in a class with a hottie for this. That never happens to me tough.

I just finished my rescue class. Tough, and physically demanding. However, I am so glad I did it and feel much better as a diver now. There were 3 of us in the class, 2 of us beach divers, so we did some beach rescue skills, and also got the Dan O2 class.

I have quite a few dives under my belt, but have not taken additional scuba classes since my certification a decade+ ago. I was a little bit concerned that the basics review would be a "Oh I forgot review" but instead, most of the review stuff I have done anyways in dive situations, so things like removing my weight belt was not too intimidating (for lack of a better word).

Rondo:
P.S. If you'd like the video(I watched it many times) I have the original,send an E-Mail.
Rondo--Pumpkin, Honey, Darlin'.........I'd love to see the video.
I'd email you, but snookums....you're not set up for private messages.:D

I need to do a rescue course and I'd love to see it. Great way to get me in the right frame of mine. My email is pclark2@cinci.rr.com.

I found it to be the most rewarding class I have taken. I learned alot more about diving then I did in my OW class. I was teamed with my husband who is bigger then me wich was okie because someday I might have to help a bigger person. they teach you ways to carry/help larger ppl. I hope you enjoy it I surely did. Someone said get lots of rest. Totally agree. It was physically demanding.

Me weighing 138 lbs at 5'8" picked a tall buddy just over 6' and weighing over 200lbs. Not easy with a ruptured disk in the neck but; if a guy with one arm can explore and discover the Grand Canyon and also climb a cliff, I can pass a rescue course.

Chris

Lexy:
So, I'm starting my Rescue Diver certification. (Woo hoo!!) For those of you have completed it -> Looking back retrospectively....is there anything you wish you had known before doing Rescue Diver? Did you jump right in after Advanced or wait? Any words of wisdom, advice?
I wish I'd known how physically demanding it is to actually rescue another diver. The rescue scenarios in class can be pretty forgiving, because each student is (sorta) helping the other, but you'll still be tired. A real rescue can easily wind up with you nearly exhausted - something to think about, actually.

If I had one bit of advice, I'd recommend that you start running on a treadmill about 20 minutes a day for each day between now and when you take the class. It won't make you triathalon-ready, but it sure won't hurt either.

Have fun in your class.

Hi, Lexy,
Congratulations on taking your scuba rescue course! You will wish you were in better shape, unless you are already there. You will get LOTS of practice removing your and the victim's BCD. Good luck and have fun!

The only problem I had was being in the water for 4 hours. OMG I had to go soooo bad. We had something like ten people in our rescue class and the viz was only 5' so it took us forever to find one another, lay lines, do searches ect..... I hope you have a lot better time than I did, although I sure learned a lot from that class, even more than AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom