Steel vs Nylon bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok in thinking it over, I like the idea of the steel bands (the buckle) being more durable than the nylon but has anyone had any occasions of the steel buckle causing any sort of damage to other gear? (Boat, other dive gear, floor, etc.)

...and, are they really more durable? Have you had one break? (Nylon that is.)

Just a curious thought...

Talking about the tank straps or cam bands.

The reason I'm asking is often when boat diving (small personal, not charter) my tank and BC is often either laying on the deck, leaning against the side or seat, or being dragged up and over the gunwale into the boat. I'd hate to move to a steel buckle only to have it scar something up.

Talking about the tank straps or cam bands.

The reason I'm asking is often when boat diving (small personal, not charter) my tank and BC is often either laying on the deck, leaning against the side or seat, or being dragged up and over the gunwale into the boat. I'd hate to move to a steel buckle only to have it scar something up.

Just go have a look at any SCUBA catalog from the 60's and early 70's and you will find what you are asking about. You will even find metal back plates with metal bands.

The plastic cam buckles are much weaker than steel. Steel CAN mar a steel tank, I used a piece of rubber backed carpet to provide protection to the tank. The metal buckle is superior and will allow you to tighten the cam band more securely with no chance of breakage of the buckle. I have broken several plastic (delrin, nylon?)) cam bands over the years. Pirahna diving has them on sale right now.

If you are tightening cam bands enough to break them, chances are you just need some new cam bands. My BP&W has double cam bands on it. You hardly need to snug them up that much and they hold a HP100 very securely.

How do you even have a choice? You say you use a BC. If you have a BC, you get the bands (or more likely band) sewn into it. If you are just talking about a buckle, I've never seen a broken buckle. If it is that old and brittle, just get a new one at the LDS the next time you get an air fill.

many Bc's do not use a sewn in cam band.
If you use two cam bands, then the need to tighten either band is significantly reduced.

Replacement of a broken Cam band is not trivial, because the plastic cam buckle IS sewn into the belt, so breakage of the buckle means you need an entirely new cam band and buckle normally.

Right, my BC does have a single band and it is nylon (zytel/delrin/?) and it works fine. The buckle on it is sewn in and the band is riveted to the plate so it's not a quick change item so to speak.

But...I am setting up a new to me backplate and one of the things to purchase is the bands so here we are!

The Halcyon cam bands are great:

1. SS buckle

2. Two strips of Octogrip, on that slides under the buckle to prevent damage to the tank, one that's sewn onto the nylon band

I've never seen a tank come loose with them, or one break or damage anything - I have seen the first two occur many times with single cam bands and plastic buckles

So I'd either get a pair of them, or a similar one and buy/make the Octogrip that goes under the buckle (I haven't seen any other brands that come with the Octogrip although they may exist)

10.051.010-strap_c400.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom