Still trying to balance my rig...suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only glossed over the comments in this thread so not sure if this was mentioned, but have you thought of using an aluminum 100 cylinder?

I find in general that steel tanks don't match up well with wetsuits, although I'm sure there are exceptions

Yes, if I had it to do over again I probably would have gotten a different. Tank, still might, but these steel tanks are costly and I already laid down the money.

Good thought though. Actually you are the first to confirm my guess that steel tanks and wetsuits are not the best fit for each other, thanks for that.

Too bad some of us learn after the $ is spent.

It sounds like you need to go to a lighter plate, that's all.

*Shameless plug for myself, but I think I can help you out- sorry I got to say something*

Look into one of my Stainless Freedom Plates. I make a small version and a large version.
The small is 3 lbs. and will fit you at 5'10",
and the large is 4 lbs. which would fit you but it may be slightly too heavy for what you've got going based on your description.
I'm guessing the s/s plate you're using now is probably 6lbs, am I correct?
So with the small Freedom Plate you'd be shedding 3 lbs.
They can be set up exactly like any other plate with a one piece harness configured exactly like how you have it now.
The Hog wings fit like a glove on my plates too, no STA needed. The wing sits in between the plate and tank and is held snuggly in place by the tension of the cam bands.
The 25 lb wing should be fine because you *should* be using it as the name intends, as a Buoyancy Control Device (at depth) not a surface flaotation device or life jacket.
If I can use 25 lb wing in 48 degree water with a steel 120 and a 7mm two piece, then you should easily be able to use one where you dive in a 5 mil.
You could also get plastic cam buckles (Yeah I know, non DIR compliant failure points) but if you keep and eye on them and don't over stress them they will work fine for years. That will save some weight.
And then finally, you could also add a vest under your full suit which will give you a little more on the positive side.

Have a great day :)

Eric

Yes, if I had it to do over again I probably would have gotten a different. Tank, still might, but these steel tanks are costly and I already laid down the money.

Good thought though. Actually you are the first to confirm my guess that steel tanks and wetsuits are not the best fit for each other, thanks for that.

Most here would do things differently if buying gear all over again, including me. You will commonly see a quote that floats around ScubaBoard: "Normally you will buy your second set of gear first" :)

Why are you wanting to be able to swim up a steel tank?
If you're worried about BC failure, the much easier solution would be to just carry a lift bag with you or always dive with a buddy.

The whole point of the BC is to keep you neutral when you're negative. If it fails, and you have nothing you can ditch you need to come up with a 2nd source of lift. Either a BC with dual redundant bladders, or a lift bag, or grab onto your buddy and do a controlled ascent.

In one of my cave classes, we had to "retrieve our unconscious instructor" from the bottom of a spring. While this may not sound like much of an issue, she had dual steel LP108's and a stage bottle on. I had dual steel LP85's on I could not lift her at ALL with just my own BC. My buddy came over to assist and we finally got her top side.

When we surfaced, she said we could have done one of two things:
1 - used HER BC for inflation, as it was more important to get her out of the water than let her drown, if she got away from us due to being too positive, it was better to deal with an embolism or DCS than to be dead.
2 - Drop her tanks and put her on my back gas.

Reason for mentioning this is... unless you're diving solo. this is what a buddy is there for. If your BC fails, and all your weight is on your BC/Tank (you have nothing to drop then you should be able to grab a hold of your buddy and the two of you ascend using his BC, or absolute worst case, get on his octo and drop all your gear.

I have to say when I'm diving doubles, I can in no way swim that amount of weight up. But I have a buddy or a lift bag to assist should I need it.

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

Steel tanks are perfect for wetsuits IMO. You just have to get used to their extra weight characteristics.
Myself and all my buddies (all cave, tech, etc) prefer steel to aluminum any day. We all dive in various thickness wetsuits, some in drysuits.
My first tank I bought a few dives after OW was a steel LP108. I dove the heck out of it. Never once having any issues with any kind of buoyancy, trim, etc.

You just need more time in the water, more practice. Your profile says you have less than 50dives... just spend more time with your gear, your tank, etc. Spend a LOT of time (or a dive or two) in very shallow water...im talking 10-20ft. Spent time traveling between those depths, hitting that magical 15ft make of "impossible buoyancy" many people have a hard time with. This will help make you a rock solid diver. Plus at that depth, a 100CuFt tank should last you a LONNNGGG time.

Don't write that tank off yet... any good diver should be able to dive with ANY tank and not have it effect his trim or buoyancy. It just takes practice to get it right. Don't be discouraged :wink: any tank is not a wasted purchase..it just becomes another part of your stable later on :)

1 - used HER BC for inflation, as it was more important to get her out of the water than let her drown, if she got away from us due to being too positive, it was better to deal with an embolism or DCS than to be dead.
2 - Drop her tanks and put her on my back gas.

I don't believe swapping regs on an unconscious diver is recommended

my head just exploded...

+1.

OP - Definitely have someone who dives the way you're aspiring toward look at your kit. Something is off. Don't go selling off your gear (but do perhaps acquire some options and then sell what you don't need in time). Your AL80 and HP100 are good tanks that will serve you well. You just need to get dialed in.

It sounds like a lighter plate and some ditchable lead will get you there, but it's hard for us to know without seeing you in the water, so go get that done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom