Still trying to balance my rig...suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks very much for the props Jim!

Yes, a freedive belt does NOT look like a quick release belt, but it is. If anyone may need to drop lead quickly, it is a freediver, rather than a SCUBA diver.

This video was made by a freediver, but it should serve to demonstrate that it does ditch easily.

THANKS!

[video=youtube_share;XwA8DL6-Ya0]http://youtu.be/XwA8DL6-Ya0[/video]

You obviously have not used or seen a MAKO belt. This buckle releases faster than my web belts and does not get hung up. I bought one for my GF because it is a safer alternative for her. Web belts are difficult for her to manage and the buckles are questionable at best as far as releasing compared to the MAKO. This type belt has been used by freedivers and spearfishermen for years. Maybe you are thinking of the old more or less home made versions that took a surplus buckle and put it on a piece of rubber with a slot for the pin.

The way the MAKO belt is set up the pin does not come thru a slot but a hole at such an angle that it is damn near impossible to get it snagged unless it has been damaged in some way. I am going to be adding one to my own gear this week after seeing how well my GF's works and how much she loves it.

I do not sell or work for MAKO in case anyone wonders. I just believe that if a product is good and increases safety you back the hell out of it no matter who makes it or sells it.

I have one and swear by it. Once I can get my wife off of purely weight integrated she'll be getting one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I was dubious about the ability to release a tongue and buckle belt, until I tried one. The Mako belt releases easily, but it sure doesn't come loose when you don't want it to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom