Stillhouse 9/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O i know what you are saying. the dive to 73 was about 55 minutes but i was only at 73 for 15min. most of the dive was about 77degrees.

Good.
Forward Looking Statement:

We are just talking about wet suits here. We have not talked about gloves or hoods. If you buy a 5 mm wet suit and go diving in 65F water, you will discover several things:
1) my hands are freezing
2) my head is freezing. I have an ice cream headache.
3) this wet suit sucks. I am getting cold.

Understand, you will still (probably) need to buy gloves for cold water diving. This should probably be a separate discussion. You should also consider a hood that is appropriate for the water temperature that you are diving. A great wet suit doesn't do anything if you don't wear a hood. If you don't wear a hood, your ears freeze instantly. Beyond that, your head is your body's (car reference here) radiator. A wet suit will not prevent rapid heat loss from your radiator, I mean, head.

Rapid heat loss from your head will make you feel really cold . . . . even if you are wearing a quality wet suit.

Thanks for the hood info. Will look into that. I have a pair of gloves already that work too good lol. My hands literally cook in them if the water temp is 75 or above so i think they will be ok. Ill look at hoods tommorow also. O buy the way i see your in arlington, im going to school in stephenville, whats the closest diving. Im assuming possum kingdom?

Taylor,
Did you buy a wetsuit?

Sorry about the slow response. So you are going to Stephenville (TSU) ??
It looks to me like you only have a few choices for dive sites. PK has always been a favorite stand by around here.

I won't say much about PK. I have tried diving it before and I don't like it; but my opinion is in the minority here. Also, I am not sure what the public access capability is for PK anymore. There used to be a dive park on the water but that's since become a trailer park, hotel, restaurant or some such nonsense.

You also have Lake Whitney (whitney, tx) as a dive option. I have been diving there. It's okay; especially if you just need to blow bubbles. Plus, it might be closer to Stephenville than PK!

Other than that, you could perform a Texas Swamp Divers Public Service Action. You could find a new dive site for us! I know I have seen a few threads in here regarding Lake Brownwood but I am not sure I have ever seen a dive report. Therefore, I don't know anything about L. Brownwood.

There used to be a really cool dive site just outside of Glen Rose, called Squaw Creek. Alas! It's been closed to the public as part of our post 9/11 national security.

I Went to buy a wet suit yesterday and needed a xl and all they had was xxl and l so i guess i have to wait till nxt week to get one.

I use a 3/2 and have dove in 66º water. I wouldn't go any colder that than but it was doable. I would dive again in 66º water with the same suit. I get hot very easy too. I Thought I was going to die trying on wetsuits for heat exaustion. I almost didn't buy one but I am glad I did.

On Sunday, it was 62 degrees at 68 feet. A 5mm was adequate but cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom