StingRay City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy once bubbled...

If it's the same eel that I've seen there (a large green moray), which I thought was called Eekie (or something) then please be careful. I saw a DM almost loose his finger and had a stay in hospital courtesy of an eel at the sandbar.

The rays are v.friendly though - watch out for "Darth Vader" a playful ray who is jet black in colour....

The eel I'm referring to lives in 16 ft. of water and won't come out in the daylight unless there is some chow in his face.

and several dive guides have been seriously bitten by one or more of them. Long hospitalizations, serious infections, and possible loss of fingers can result from a bite from one of these eels.

I do not recommend interacting with any of the eels there. They are not "friendly." Eels have extremely poor eyesight and hunt by smell. With all of the food in the water, they can have difficulty distinguishing your fingers from lunch.

Various names have been used for these eels. Bruce and Psycho are a couple more names given to these large green morays.

While I must agree, don't interact with the eel. It's not the end of the world if you do. You can touch his tail as he swims by for example. Anybody that lives on G. Cayman should halfway know how an eel acts and behaves.

Don't ever GRAB the eel but lightly touch it if you get the chance. Don't force the chance. It's a once in a lifetime oppotunity.

He's 100% correct about the eels having poor eye site. They are nocturnal creatures and feed by smell at night. Never attempt to touch one at night as they will be out free swimming when you see them then.

Now that I havea decided that I need to DIVE stingray city, I am having a booger of a time booking it. Seems that everyone that I e-mail hasn't responded yet. Really didn't want to get on a cattle boat, but I am running out of days. Any ideas?
Lucky
Thank you for all of your posts....

Luckyfishrag once bubbled...
Now that I havea decided that I need to DIVE stingray city, I am having a booger of a time booking it. Seems that everyone that I e-mail hasn't responded yet. Really didn't want to get on a cattle boat, but I am running out of days. Any ideas?
Lucky
Thank you for all of your posts....

Try to get on the horn with them is my only suggestion.

An operation called Captain Marvin's does a good job of getting cruisers to the stingrays and still getting back to the boat on time. Used it for the non-divers in our group last time.

I dove with Neptune's Divers and was very pleased.

Rich

Hi-
My husband and I were on the Norwegian Sun in March and had the same problem- I really wanted to go diving with the stingrays. Luckily we found Absolute Divers and they were great! It was probably a little more expensive than other operators but it was like having a charter- only one other couple on a very nice boat They picked us up, took us for a couple of dives and got us back in time to get on the ship and relax. I really think the Stingray city dive has been my very favorite dive so far (still a beginner), but we got great pictures and interacting with the rays was very cool! Have fun!

Hi Luckyfishrag,

Definetly worth throwing a tank on your back for this one!!!

If you can get a hold of FishEye(FishEye.com), I would suggest them strongly without reservation. I just got back from diving with them in Sept. Great bunch of people, very helpful and Bart is a damn riot when you can figure out what the hell the punch line was(the Brit accent and slang can be tough). Also, if you're looking for a video or some pics, this is kind of their specialty (I took a videography course from them while I was there).

From talking to other divers I met down there, there aren't any really bad ops on the island with Red Sail being the only possible exception (the only bad input was to many divers on a trip).

Whatever it takes, you've gotta check this one out.
:snap:
Jeff

Definitely dive it. I went with Red sail and they were a great operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom