StingRay City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Now that I havea decided that I need to DIVE stingray city, I am having a booger of a time booking it. Seems that everyone that I e-mail hasn't responded yet. Really didn't want to get on a cattle boat, but I am running out of days. Any ideas?
Lucky
Thank you for all of your posts...."

Hey Lucky! I responded to your emails :) Unfortunately we already have a 9 AM 2 tank trip booked.
I think that your major problem is that you arrive at 9:30. By the time you tender to shore and meet up, that makes it around 10-10-30. Most ops here depart for their trips at 7, 8 or 9 AM.
If you do not want to go with the cruise ship's excursion, probably your only option is to find an operation available for a private charter. Try to hunt up some folks that will be on your ship to share the cost. You can send out the word here, go to cruisecritic.com, etc. Good luck!

The Sting Ray City dive is one of the best reasons to dive Cayman (for 90% of divers).

It's a great experience. Listen to the pre dive briefing, but I suggest an extra TEN POUNDS of lead (15# is better) as you really want to plunk your butt on the sand.

The less thrashing around the better.

Do not worry about cattle boats and what that conjures up in your mind. This is a dive venue perfectly suited to a "cattle boat" operation.

Pontoon boats, marginal room, suit up, slide in, feed the rays, watch the DM's tease the Morays, flop back on to the boat, go home. 20' max depth.

Go, have fun.

Hey Casey

Do you guys do regular SRC afternoon dives. I'm down the weekend of the 22 Nov and will be planning to take my newly (as in Sunday morning 23 Nov) jr certified son to SRC on either the 23 or 24 Nov, more likely the 24th.

Also what days do you do night dives (this would be w/out the junior diver)?

Thanks

Joe

I think doing a dive or snorkle would be equally as great. I do second the recommendation for diving to pack on extra weight for that dive only. It will only make you more stable in the water with all the rays swimming about. Even if you get on a cattle type boat, there is always room to move out from the crowd and hang on the edge and enjoy yourself without worrying about being bumped by others. You will only be in 15-20feet of water. Hope you have a great time. This also would be my only recommendation of taking a cattle boat anywhere, six packs are worth the extra cash anytime.

When I went on the SRC dive everybody was talking about the stingrays leaving marks on your exposed skin, mistaking it for food. This is no big deal. They suck in their food and they will only do this to your exposed skin if they smell food on it.

someone mentioned absolute divers...i must concur...mark is an excellent guide, capt., and dm. he is a little more expensive because it is literally a private charter. he does his very best to meet your schedule. www.absolutedivers.com

if you have food on your skin and a ray sucks on to it...it will hurt. they have incredible sucking power, and since our skin is plyable...it will suck a little skin into his jaws and start grinding it back and forth. so it is suggested to not handle food then rub your arms or the like unless you like all that attention :D

i know this is a month later...but hopefully this will help some to someone :)

the mora is very cool...just keep your fingers close to a fist and remember he'll be where you don't expect him to be. he's hungry all the time and will come out of his various lairs and while you're swimming around you just might feel something silky in your bc, or around your arms and the like. don't freak....just relax and enjoy the experience.

since a lot of videographers like to play tricks on nature...they rub squid oil on their lenses so the eel will smell this and run right into the lens so they get the great shot...this is good and bad...because with their cartorax (sp?) they can't see and they'll run into your mask thinking it's a camera lens with squid oil on it. some people really don't enjoy this...but me, i loved it!!!

looking right down a mora's mouth with all those teeth smiling at you...inches away from your eyes...excellent!!!!

hope you have or had a great time and many more to all....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom