Stingray kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband was on the internet tonite when he told me Irwin had died and for 20 minutes I kept saying "That can't be" while he continued to read various news reports to me. Yeah, he was out there a bit, but he brought the world and its animals into our living rooms and showed the importance of conservation to those who may not have paid much attention to it otherwise. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. He will be missed.

I read the article some one posted on the nature of stingray envenomations and the damage done if the torso is penetrated by the barb. Does anyone know if anaphalaxis (sp?) can play a part in such an event if the victim is allergic to a component of the venom?

My condolences to family. Stevo was an outstanding waterman and surfer. I'll never forget the Croc Hunter episode where he went to G-Land with childhood bud. Dude, totally ripped. Vaja con Dios, hermano !

I'm surprised at the reaction of several posters here. I felt he tempted fate a bit too often. Condolences of course to his family and friends.

archman:
In my case I was drift-floating in about 18 inches of water around a mangrove island in Florida, and came directly underneath a large southern stingray. I couldn't move at all without hitting the bottom. The current literally floated me right over it's spine... if I'd have panicked and tried to sit up, I would have pinned the ray and gotten impaled in the chest. I brushed the top of the ray with my belly at one point, regardless. I'm surprised the thing didn't bolt, or stab me.

If Steve somehow got too close to the top of a ray, and the ray got leverage, it could have easily spined him.

I've been close to the bottom a few times and been surprised by breath-holes opening up below me. It was possible to get stung, but the rays either ignored me as I inhaled and rose, or they just swam off in a huff. It's possible to get stung in the chest in such a scenario, I think.

But if you're crazy enough to try to handle them, I would say it's LIKELY they will sting you in a vital area.

IMO, Irwin was a great person, educating people about animals, conservation and even, to some degree, responsibility. For every questionable action, he probably did about a thousand good things. Sometimes, he did go a little far, and this may be one of those times ...

I remember when Steve first came on The Discovery Channel, with an hour long special on snakes. This was in the late 90s. It was New Years Eve, and we were all gathered around the television laughing and laughing as Steve would get inches away from a snake, then jump back as fast as he could.

Even though I didn't know him personally, I could tell he was a good person. He will be missed.

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then 1-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo. (Full story)

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'."

A true character is lost to his family, friends and those that couldn't help being amused, entertained and educated by the man.

I'm very sad and stunned.

This is sad news. Steve was a champion guy who was passionate about wildlife and educating others about wildlife.

I was hoping to meet Steve in November and get his autograph for my 5 year old nephew who absolutely loves him.

He will be sorely missed...

Condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom