STOP!!! Breathe - Think - Act - SAFETY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a lot of focus on gear in this thread. If you've spent some time out of the water, it behooves you to spend some time reviewing theory, dive tables, operation and interpretation if your dive computer (if you use one), communication, and basic emergency procedures. I also think its worthwhile to actually get IN the water (even a pool) and be sure your weighting is still correct (have you added some holiday Lbs or worked of that Thanksgiving turkey with a strict gym routine?), you're comfortable with your mask off, regulator out of your mouth, ascending and descending.

Checking your gear is important, but that alone will not prepare you for the unfortunate eventualities that sometimes occur in diving.

There's a lot of focus on gear in this thread. If you've spent some time out of the water, it behooves you to spend some time reviewing theory, dive tables, operation and interpretation if your dive computer (if you use one), communication, and basic emergency procedures. I also think its worthwhile to actually get IN the water (even a pool) and be sure your weighting is still correct (have you added some holiday Lbs or worked of that Thanksgiving turkey with a strict gym routine?), you're comfortable with your mask off, regulator out of your mouth, ascending and descending.

Checking your gear is important, but that alone will not prepare you for the unfortunate eventualities that sometimes occur in diving.

Very good point. Many divers forget that you can lose those fine skills over time if you are not using them. Make sure you brush up on those before just jumping in and heading down. Work on your drills!

Safety is a year round thing, a daily thing. I am able to dive in all seasons, but sometimes that means traveling to places to dive. I also look at this board every day, and read a lot of threads, from which I learn alot. While I am in the water a couple of times a month to dozens of times a month (pool, lake or ocean) my wife is not. But she stays current by reading the dive magazines we get ( and posts on scubaboard) and always does a pool session if she has been out of her gear for 90 days or more, before dive trip. All of our gear is calendared for service, some by me , some at our local shop. I guess you could say that we when are not active in the water we are active in learning about diving, reading about it (and writing about it). We are also gear "fiddlers," taking time now and then stay familiar with computers, cameras, and other stuff. Of all the prior comments, my favorite it to "plan your dive and dive your plan." And do it with current dive skills, gear that is in good repair, and the ability to plan and carry out safe dives. If your skills, your gear, or your planning ability is not where it should be, correct before going diving. Then Go diving!
DivemasterDennis

The title of the thread has it right, yet most of this thread is addressing heading of equipment failures rather than skill failures. With the right level of skill and skill preparedness the equipment problems (for non-tech) become inconveniences rather that threats, "You better free your mind instead ..."

Good stuff in this thread.

Like was mentioned, lets just not think of equipment for safety.....skill in the water is a huge one. If its been a while, make sure you practice your basics....maybe the first few dives is a time to keep it nice and simple. Maybe leave that camera behind and concentrate on the dive!

Make it a point to practice your emergency procedures often as well. It should be second nature!

Reactions: Jax
Excellent, FoxHound!

Go find a local instructor and see if you can get in the pool. Take your mask off, swap regulators, buddy breathe for a while.

How bout a nice safe shallow buddy dive for gear and safety drills. I also say slow down a bit and dont get ahead of yourself, make sure not only that of your gear is good but you as well. I dive year around as well but I always stop and make sure that all of my gear is in order to cary on. Dont blow your limits and that of your dive buddy if you have them.

And since everybody here is a diver and reading forum take the time and see what other young and old school have to offer in terms of differant ways of dive skill's and gear config. and take a moment and read of our fallen brother's and sister's. You never know what did not save them might save you!

I am fortunate to dive every nearly every weekend so I look at my gear after each dive while I am rinsing and hanging it (doing the scuba laundry). I see many vacationing divers who have gear failure on their trip. Servicing your gear and replacing broken straps, etc is important. Reviewing mask clearing, regulator retrieval and other skills are probably more important. If you need a refresher or just a pool session to sharpen those skills, get it done so you can enjoy your diving.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Avonthediver makes a good point about safety skills. If you haven't taken CPR and Rescue Diver, please make that the next scuba course on your list.

I dive with a group that for years got together each spring (this year, it will be in April) when the local waters start to warm up. We hit a quarry and have a "dive rodeo", an event in which we practice skills that might have acquired a few cobwebs over the winter. We check each others' equipment, practice buddy breathing and air sharing, remove masks underwater, etc. It's all done in a controlled environment and with ample buddy pairs, and we generally just try to have a good time getting back into rhythms of diving that might have gone unpracticed for a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom