STOP!!! Breathe - Think - Act - SAFETY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we go with another.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/415008-body-recovered-off-destin-florida.html

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

And another!!!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...414986-diver-death-koala-mabini-batangas.html

What Thal said!!

Please, practice your skills, dial in your weight, before you go diving!! Be ready to handle what comes at you.

And another one in Grand Cayman this weekend:

cayCompass.com :: Diver in Turtle Reef accident dies

UPDATED:
Diver in Turtle Reef accident dies

leave a comment
comment.png
0 comments
A woman who was critically injured while on a dive off the north western shore of Grand Cayman was pronounced dead Friday night after spending about a day in a coma.

Last edited:
Hey Jax.Buddy and I (as well as my 19 year old daughter) were discussing the recent tragedies. Thanks for this thread and thanks reminding us of a reality check.

Reactions: Jax
I could not agree more, skills diminish when you don't practice, thetime to practice is before you go on your dive trip. Keeping gear properly maintained is essential, and keeping yourself maintained physically and mentally is too. If you haven't dove since the trip last year, or since your local mudhole closed last fall, get in the pool with an instructor and refresh your skills, that couple of hours could save your life. I am lucky, as an instructor, even when local diving is shut downm usually in pool a couple of times a week, but I will still take my doubles in the pool through the winter and practice valve drills, regulator switches and sharing air with a fellow diver to keep those skills sharp.

Its "funny" to me that this thread mentions seeing if you can get some pool time in. I recently approached a shop asking to be allowed to do a weight check, and some drills on my own while a lesson was going on (this is a big facility - space is not a problem). THE LOOK OF SHEER HORROR ON THEIR FACES...... Nope, only if a spent more money on specific training/classes they have.... WTF is wrong with these people??? ..... gee, apparently I should just go jump in a lake? I am truly at a loss.....

Reactions: Jax
..snip..
BC -
..snip..
Remove the OverPressure Valve (OPV) - clean it, the threads, the round disc, maybe a little silicon for protection on the disk and threads
..snip..

It's not recommended to put anything on the face of the rubber disk that might become sticky and hold grains of sand
or other foreign objects that would then cause valve leakage.

I believe that today we focus too much on equipment. some of the senior diver here remember diving before the bcd was out and it was safe. we are starting to rely on equipment to keep us safe. instead of our skill, i sometimes like to do a dive with some piece of equipment that is a little uncomfortable( will have a spare along) it gets you used to diving with a leaky mask or an over/under sized bcd, it keeps me learning to handle small discomforts.

I believe that today we focus too much on equipment. some of the senior diver here remember diving before the bcd was out and it was safe. we are starting to rely on equipment to keep us safe. instead of our skill, i sometimes like to do a dive with some piece of equipment that is a little uncomfortable( will have a spare along) it gets you used to diving with a leaky mask or an over/under sized bcd, it keeps me learning to handle small discomforts.

I agree with you -- people get equipment without understanding its use and limitations. Practice, practice, practice -- then do without it so you remember how.

I am fortunate enough to dive year round so my gear is used regularly and I don't "need" to refresh my skills (just learn them to begin with!). I think one of the most important things one needs to do after an extended absence from the water is to refresh their minds as well as their gear.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

How true... back in the early days diving was dangerous and sex was safe. Sigh.

I would not want to return to my early days in the 60s when SPGs, BCDs, an octopus and dive computers were not used. I enjoy the added safety this equipment brings. However, one cannot rely on equipment alone. Good training and skills practice is important. It lets you react to situations in an almost instinctive manner (such as initiating a slow ascent at the first sign of trouble) and avoid the panic that a mentally unprepared diver may respond with.

Just wondering --- how many of you practice your skills before going diving?

Do a weight check? You might have some added or lost bioprene . . .

Take your mask off underwater . . . Breathe a few times . . . put it back on and clear. It's not so scary when you practice.

Back
Top Bottom