Storing gear in the car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Here's my situation: My wife and I live four stories up in a walk-up, so diving days start out with two or three trips up and down stairs with our gear.

I wonder about loading some of the gear in the car the day before. Tanks, obviously, wouldn't be kept there in fear of the safety seals bursting. But what about the other stuff? Would the heat from inside the car damage my wetsuit? Or fins? Or mask?

I'd bring everything up afterward to rinse off, but what about storing stuff afterward there (out of direct sunlight)?

Phil

The cylinders would be the least of my concern.

Make sure the neoprene items are not packed with hard items that could make impressions. Fold or roll the wetsuits to limit creasing

Be good about rinsing the BC bladders and keep them partially inflated to keep inner walls from drying / sticking together.

A silicone skirted mask is very heat resistant. I would make sure fins are in a natural position so they don't take a twist.

My gear often comes to work with me for evening dives with no ill effects.

Pete

Not sure if I'll have "good" info on this but will give what I can and will look forward to what others have.

I travel for work and will sometimes add dive trips to the travel, this causes me to put the gear in the car- trunk- for the week to then be used at the end of the week.

I've never had any issue with tanks, fins, mask, regs etc.
I do suspect that my seals for the dry suit and possibly the drysuit has lost some integrety, but I haven't worried about it too much as the suit was ancient when I bought it.

What I've seen with the drysuit is that from time to time the seals will have a little "gummy" spot where it looks like the rubber melted some. I haven't seen this for awhile- since they were replaced- but it goes thru my mind.

I have not seen any issue with the hose or rubber bands on the backplate wing, and no issue with the wing (yet?!?!?)

This could of course all been "dumb luck" so, will be looking on with interest. :)

Dave

I'd store the mask, regs and wetsuit in my apartment
Hang the wetsuit on a thick padded hanger
Everything else in the car
Read your car/renter's insurance policy to see which policy covers stolen items
If your renter's policy covers personal property in the car,I recommend a replacement cost policy

After three decades of every day car carting when living near diving places, my only discernible issue has been with an old burst disc bursting when I was elsewhere. That was a me, service issue. Parking in the shade with a window or two slightly open is good.
I have always checked tank pressure prior to setting off since, and some of the stuff I cart around now is the same stuff I was carting around then..
The excuse that I use for driving an old bomb is that no one will steal it or would bother to look inside it for anything to steal either. The real reason is that I spend my money on diving things.
I have also inadvertently increased fuel economy due to rust.

Last edited:
The tanks should not be a problem.

My response at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5244637-post14.html is repeated here:

FWIW, within the ideal gas approximation, the increase in pressure (or volume) upon heating is:

Tf/Ti

where Tf is the final temperature and Ti is the initial temperature. All temperatures are in terms of Kelvin - for a Celsius version:

(TCf+273)/(TCi+273)

where TCf is the final temperature and TCi is the initial temperature, both in Celsius. I believe that the conversion from Celsius (TC) to Fahrenheit (TF) is:

(TF-32)*5/9 = TC (could be wrong).

If a tank is filled to 3000 psi at 25C (TCi=25) (77F?) and will burst at 5000 psi (I am just making this up), then

(TCf+273)/(TCi+273) = 5000/3000

TCf = 5/3 * (TCi+273) - 273
= 5/3 * (25+273) -273
= 224 C or 435 F

So, your tank will have to heat to 224C/435F for the tank to rupture at 5000 psi.

Caveat - real gases depart from ideal gas behaviour at high temperatures and pressures such that 224C/435F should be thought of as an extreme upper end temperature - the true pressure at 224C/435F will be higher than the ideal gas case of 5000psi. This corresponds to the bursting pressure being lower than the 5000psi ideal gas case. Just a guess, but I would allow up to a 20% departure from ideal gas behaviour (this is a bit extreme) at 5000psi leading to

TCf = (5-5*.2)/3 * (TCi+273) - 273
= 4/3 * (25+273) -273
= 124 C or 256 F

Now the tank bursts at 124C/256F rather than 224C/435F. 20% here and there goes a long way...

The true departure from ideal gas behaviour of dry air is quantified, but I don't have the number in front of me right now.

Don't think about storing wet or damp equipment in your car, unless you want a car that smells like something large and with poor hygiene died in it.

I am lazy, and often don't unload my car when I get home, especially if it's a bit late. And it may be midmorning before it gets done the next day. The smell of my car would appall the people who made it.

Gosh it's only a day or two, relax, throw it in the car, and enjoy your diving!

My stuff often comes back from a trip and sits for a week or longer packed and marinated in a Pelican box...no harm done! Smelly perhaps, but no harm.

Don't think about storing wet or damp equipment in your car, unless you want a car that smells like something large and with poor hygiene died in it.

I am lazy, and often don't unload my car when I get home, especially if it's a bit late. And it may be midmorning before it gets done the next day. The smell of my car would appall the people who made it.

I love the smell of wet neoprene in the morning. :D

Sounds like my truck. Just try to keep the rubber (neoprene/silicone/plastic/or whatever is not metal) out of the sun and it should be fine. If its not in the trunk then cover it with a towel to keep UV off of it. Park in the shade if possible. The tanks are no concern, they will be fine.

I appreciate the advice, everyone. I'm not concerned about the gear being stolen, just the effect of heat on it. This will make my dive day that much easier for me and the wife.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom