Strengthening my Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanx everyone. I've been doing some physiotherapist-recommended stuff for a while now and things are finally getting better - well enough that I've been "cleared" for my dive trip next week (phew). Missed the entire ski season, and looks like my rugby career is over, but for the first time in months my back is painless. Never really appreciated that until now.

Real down side is that I lost about 3kg (10lbs) while I was injured. Normally I'd be ecstatic about that, but its not so much that I've lost 10lbs, but more that I've lost 20lbs of muscle and gained 10 in fat. Figure has definitely slid. Can't wait to see what this has done to my SAC :(

Bryan

If anyone wants to know the regimen I've been put on:

1) Hamstring stretches. Apparently a big source of my problem is my overdeveloped leg muscles. They were quite tight, which apparently puts a lot of stress on the ol spine.

2) Lay on stomach and lift shoulder or legs off ground hold for 10 seconds. Strengthens the back muscles. Only need to life a few cm/" off the ground to make those work.

3) Lay on back, with knees bent & feet flat on floor. Lift your body until it is straight from knees to neck. Hold 10 sec.

4) Hold a pushup position (with arms extended) and back straight, for 10 sec.

5) Side-thrusts.

Fixed things up in a jiffy. Big secret (and a rul I have to follow from now until the day I die) is to try to do all exercises without bending your spine out of alignment. Most of my physio wasn't so much exercises, but rather re-teaching me proper posture, lifting, etc.

Bryan

Sounds like you got a good regimen to strenthen your back. As you mentioned, posture and lifting techniques are key to keeping a healthy back. wb416 also had good advice with the knee lifts. Keep your abs tight, back straight, and knee lift till your knee/thigh is 90* from your body. Not only does it help with the back... it helps with the abs too!

Good luck to you!

erparamedic:
Sounds like you got a good regimen to strenthen your back. As you mentioned, posture and lifting techniques are key to keeping a healthy back.
Its amazing how big of a difference small changes in my posture made - better chair at work, the occasional check of my posture (walk backwards into a wall; your butt/shoulders should hit at the same time), and just generally paying attention and BAM - damned thing gets better. Unfortunatly, it looks like my rugby career is over, but I should be able to do all of the other activities I used to do.

erparamedic:
wb416 also had good advice with the knee lifts. Keep your abs tight, back straight, and knee lift till your knee/thigh is 90* from your body. Not only does it help with the back... it helps with the abs too!
It's on the list of "advanced" exercises, which I start in a few weeks. Most of the others are just modifications of the ones I'm doing now. Interesting thing I was told - apparently most "traditional" ab exercises (i.e. crunches) are bad for your back. I always thought I was helping things when I did those in the gym...

erparamedic:
Good luck to you!
Thanx

Bryan

I'm glad to see you are having great results. I am also surprised that no one asked what part of your back you hurt. The assumption is always (and usually correctly) the low back. I ruptured a disk (L4-L5) that they were able to repair quite nicely and have very few restrictions with. Core work is just that, and should include the abs, obliques, glutes and back. Keep them equally strong and that will keep you a bit safer from recurrence. Reps are your friend, weight is not. Good technique is more important than total pounds.

Your regimen includes several yoga moves. If you make sure you incorporate the breathing techniques you should see a nice improvement in your SAC as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom