Student brings BP/W to OW class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to show an instructor how it worked before he let a student use one, back when I was divermastering and helping every so often with classes.

He really threw a fit about the 7' hose and bungeed backup....

Perfect example of minimum standards. You get what you educate yourself for.

... instructors would approach the situation being this gear config is not the industry "standard"?

Translated: "Many instructors don't have the knowledge and experience to teach students using a BP&W, so to save themselves from looking ignorant, unprofessional or anything less than the absolute dive god they portray themselves to be; they promote the concept that this equipment is non-standard, tech-specific or in some other way not suitable for their students."

I mean... come on! It's a Buoyancy Control Device. It has a low pressure inflator on a corrugated tube. It has a bladder that contains air. It has pull-dump valves. It has a harness/straps as means to wear it. Where's the rocket science in teaching a diver in that? Where are the drastic, fundamental differences that make it so incompatible with the skills, drills and learning they do already with a jacket BCD?

If an instructor is bewildered at the minor alterations needed to teach students using a BP&W, then they really shouldn't be teaching in the first place.

Yes.. there are some differences, adjustments and modifications needed, but these are minor. They're the sort of thing that an instructor can learn about by spending 30 minutes browsing on an internet forum, or reading a blog, or Googling... or talking to another instructor who has used the equipment. The only things stopping them is pride, laziness and an aimless, dogmatic approach to an industry that they obviously aren't that motivated to work in...

Take the ego and ruffled pride out of it,...and there's absolutely no reason why any instructor couldn't teach classes with BP&W.

I brought mine for my OW training. The instructor was in one as well and was surprised and happy with my choice of gear selection. BP/W, vest, back inflate.....they all do the same thing, essentially, just a different way of getting it done so there should be no worry about it.

Wattsup23...BP/W stand for Back-plate and wing

While my daughter didn't have a bp/w, she did learn at age 10 in a DR Transpac. She was in a week long kids only class and neither her instuctor or any of the other students had a problem with it. She is 13 now and has only dove the transpac, (except at Epcot where you must dive their gear).

BP/W is just anther BCD. Different in form, the same in feature. The only reason I can think of is since you equipement is different the rest of the class, your instructor and your buddy will need to know how to operate it in case things happen. They need to know how to dump air, how to get you out of it. Your instructor should know. If not find another instructor. However, whether your instructor is willing to extra step to explain bp/w to your buddy or even the rest of the class, it is entirely up to him/her. I think for the a easier time in OW class, just go with what the rest of the people use. Especially BCD rental is included in the course fee already.

I purchased one in between my class room and the pool sessions. When I brought it to my pool sessions my instructor had herd of it but, he said he never saw one and did not want me to use it. He said I could but would rather I did not. He said it was a tech rig and wanted to know if I wanted to get into tech. I ended up using their provided bc which worked just fine for the course. Yes I could have complained and all but I looked at getting the card as just being certified to start learning not the end all be all class of scuba.

After I was certified I just trolled this board till I found someone in my area that dove it. He happened to be a cave diver that lives in my area and has been my mentor ever since. Best thing that has happened to me in scuba by far.

Devon diver,

Apparently, the crotch strap was the straw that broke the camels back...

I think it is sad that instructor =/= expert, but it does explain why certified =/= safe or well educated.

Hats off to the divers who become good in spite of their instruction!

excuse my ignorance here but what acronym does BP/W stand for?

Backplate and Wing
STA=Single Tank Adapter

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom