Stupid filter install question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most common back-up o-rings are contoured on one-side only but I've seen them contoured on both sides. The contour is for the o-ring to sit in. On your filter tower top cap you'd have the contour pointing down and the o-ring facing the pressure.

Back-Up Rings

Wait a sec. You mean they both ride in the groove? The backup ring beneath the oring? Like with a 2nd stage piston ring and an oring underneath it?

god dammit. Now I'm hot! Friggin' pissed to the 9's.

Swampy, dude, thanks for the info. Truly, you got my back.

But No thanks to Jim on this one - no info on the stack or on the filters. -1 for you.

And pay attention ti325v. It pays to ask stupid questions. -1 for making me feel like an idiot.

So guys, this set up (see pics) makes sense to me pressure wise. Am I right?

(I originally had the flat ring down on the bevel right before the threads start, though the wide gap and narrow oring was a head scratcher that way...)

I set the base up the opposing way...

Attachments

• IMG_6375.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 59
For the top cap that looks correct.
The flat side of the back-up o-ring is towards the threads or away from the pressure.

I guess your first set up might be why you were losing pressure overnight.

Are you sure you wanna be pumping your own air ?

Aw, c'mon, we were all neophyte fill operators at one point......

Um, what did that piece of tape have written on it? You know, the tape that was across the end of the cartridge in your picture.

Um, what did that piece of tape have written on it? You know, the tape that was across the end of the cartridge in your picture.

I read it, but it wasn't directions - was the logical first place to look.
I don't remember exactly what it said now beyond the cart number....

It indicated that the plug had to be removed before installation. I install these filters on a daily basis. I use a pair of dikes. I hit the plug with the dikes to break it out and use the dikes to grab it and remove it. Sometimes they come out clean, sometimes they don't. If you grab it and rock it back and forth, you may end up with the tab broken off with the plug still in place.

I wound up using a box cutter as my tab ripped off trying to use a set of pliers to break it. Anyway, I'm long passed this now, and the compressor passed O2 compatible air testing.

Back
Top Bottom