Stupid mistakes....lucky,scared stiff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned at the end of your first post that "it takes alot for this Firefighter to admit to being scared" and also in the middle of your post where you made it to the back of the boat you mentioned that you were "EXTREMELY embarassed."

Do you think that maybe these statements reveal a precondition that set you up for making the mistakes you enumerate above.

FireMedic:
These are the mistakes I felt were made - (1) I Should have gotten a better briefing about the nitrox from my instructor
Not just a briefing - you should take a Nitrox class if you're going to dive Nitrox.

FireMedic:
snip I was recently on a dive with some family and friends, and my OWI. This was a pleasure\elective dive. We were using Nitrox (32%), my first experience with this gas. snip

So, was this a pleasure dive that you happened to be on with your OWI.....or was this a part of your AOW class?

If it was part of AOW....what kind of book/lecture work had been completed re: nitrox?

Peace,
Cathie

First - Nitrox at any depth without proper training is unacceptable.
Second - Where was your instructor this whole time? Your brother was not a qualified substitute for a buddy if this dive was under an instructor's supervision - Even if it was only an "elective" dive
Third - If you let "ego" or "peer pressure" dictate your actions you WILL become a statistic!
Whatever the reasons for the problems you experienced and regardless of the fact that you recognized that you were having problems and took some corrective action - ultimately it is your responsibility to be a safe diver. That means don't exceed your training, don't give into perceived or real peer pressure, and do call a dive whenever anything doesn't "feel right" or things are not going well. You could have been a casualty and unfortunatley when things go wrong distressed divers often take others with them - might have been your brother.

Having said that - I'm glad you are still diving. Hope you are very careful and that you have learned from this but can let it go as well. If you haven't taken a Nitrox class yet - please do - it is great stuff. And if you are ever in South Florida let me know and we'll go get wet!

Hey guys, just so you know.... I am by the book... at the time, I didn't know we were going to use the nitrox. Last minute change and my OWI said he would "take care of it"... I trusted him. Also, I am a very safe diver. I realize that there were some mistakes made, but I learned life lessons from them. I dive by the books. Not beyond my training or comfort zones. I am by no means unsafe!!! As a Paramedic, refuse to become a statistic, and as a Firefighter, I will not put my "buddy" in jeopardy. Please dont get the wrong impression about me.... i am not here for an ego trip. I just love the water and appreciate all of your input. Rest assured, if whoever I get in the water with does not go by the "rules", they will not be in the water with me long. I have too much respect for life.
Thanks again, the name is Bob

Bob
Sorry if you felt I was being rough on you. I'm sure you learned much and are going to be "safe" if the future. BUT in the instance you wrote about you made judgements that prompted my reply. Part of the beauty of this forum is that others will hopefully read the comments and learn as well. And don't "trust" anyone but yourself in the future. Obviously your instructor was in the wrong but YOU are ultimately responsible.
I am Renee - Naui Instructor

Bob... don't worry about anyone getting the wrong impression about you. And don't ignore the effect ego has on our decision making process.

We can look at the failures or mistakes that were made but if we fail to see the underlying cause we won't be able to prevent similar mistakes in the future.

Isn't it just possible that your mistakes in judgement stemmed from your concern about what your brother and others would think of you?

Thank you Uncle Pug - I wasn't trying to be mean.

Had to dig out my Padi AOW manual just to make sure and I was right in remembering that Nitrox is not included in their AOW course.

So, what agency are you going thru that has Nitrox as an elective and how much info did they give you on depth limits?

I ask again, what was your depth when you reached the wreck?

You both have made very valid points and I respect and appreciate them. Uncle Pug, I would have to say "yes". I just so happen to be the senior Paramedic of the group and a Supervisor of 2 of them. Now that you mention it, it probably did come into play, but not as a conscious thought, HONESTLY. Other peoples opinions of me are very important to me and always will be....but.... not at the risk of my, or anyone elses, safety. I try to save lives for a living, not put them at risk. (I may be a case for Sigmond? )
Renee, I thank you kindly for your comments and support. I will take all of this to heart. This is a sport\lifestyle of education and experience. I will continue to strive to get both. So please, as a part of my education, feel free to give any advice you can. I hope others can learn from me as I have learned from them (and you)

Back
Top Bottom