Stupid question: how to bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double fishermen's uses a lot of bungee if all you want to do is simply created an elastic tie down. I personally go with bike inner tube that's about 2in in diameter when pressed flat. Bike shops will usually have a few scraps from punctured tires and what not. Ask nicely and you could get a few for free. Enough to make hundreds of tie downs.

When using bungee I used to hold both ends together and tie an over hand knot. When I wanted less of a big knot profile I'd do a square knot.
I usually flame then put a dab of glue or neoprene cement to seal the knot, this is very important if tying the square knot as tension could undo it w/o the glue.

Inner tube on Strap.jpg

I use bungee loops in some applications, inner tube in others. Can't beat a fisherman's bend for stretchy line!

If you use innertube sections and dive cold water with thick gloves, it can be hard to get, say, a light back into the loop without looking. Some time back I found that cutting the section with a tab on it made it much easier to find and pull open the inertube section to reinsert, say, my light:

Tire Loop with Tab.jpg

Pehaps some would consider that an equipment solution to a skills deficit but I like it.

Bryan

I use bungee loops in some applications, inner tube in others. Can't beat a fisherman's bend for stretchy line!

If you use innertube sections and dive cold water with thick gloves, it can be hard to get, say, a light back into the loop without looking. Some time back I found that cutting the section with a tab on it made it much easier to find and pull open the inertube section to reinsert, say, my light:

View attachment 118447

Pehaps some would consider that an equipment solution to a skills deficit but I like it.

Bryan

You should cut that tab off before it snags you in some fishing line. :fruit:

If I were using the bungee for loops, I'd probably use a figure eight, rather than a double fisherman's. Much less bungee required and still a great knot for tension loads.

Ooh I'm liking the inner tube thing. And theres a bike shop right next to my office! I'll try my luck

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

I tried bungie for backup lights -- it rolls, and ends up releasing the lights. Inner tube works much better.

I do it one of two ways, using double fisherman's knot. Either I just make a loop around the whole webbing tight enough to secure my light or I put two holes in the webbing and thread the bungee through and then tie knot. The first way allows me to move the bungee up or down on the webbing depending on the light I'm using. The second way the bungee is fixed in place. I also put a dab of glue on the knot.

Correction: I use a Square knot (reef).

As per: http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

Just as an aside, I've also welded the bolt snap so it doesn't swivel, this makes it much easier to turn the light on before I unhook, it's twist activated.

Put two inner tube sections on each side as they do break, yet they are still the best for the job.

one other advantage to the inner tube sections is that the sit tight and flat to the strap when not in use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom