stupid things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop

Reaction score
i had a good laugh yesterday. after finishing my dive early i was having a chat with the skipper of the boat and i he was telling me all the dumb things he has seen. I had to chuckle to myself as he was describing all the stupid things i have done since taking up diving....hee hee

lol, the ones I enjoyed most were instructors jumping in without their weight belt, swimming 20 yards to the buoy line and then discoverign they couldnt get down. Sadly that's been me too once or twice!

Weve underestimated currents only to get a tow in from a boat.

My favorite, I used to do relatively frequently. On a boat dive I would gear up quick and hit the water, then snorkle around looking at fish while I waited for the slow pokes. When they were finally ready we would give the okay sign, and I would raise my arm and dump air, still breathing from the snorkle.

I dive alone most of the time these days, and no longer carry a snorkle, but if I did, I'd probaly still be doing that. My wife thinks I'm stupid, but I'm really just absent-minded, kind of like Einstein. Thinking deep thoughts all the time I lose track of the trivial. At least thats what I tell her... :)

Had a guy on a boat one time that didn't remove his weight belt during the SI. Said he wanted to be able to get his gear on quickly at the next dive site. As we were motoring to the second site, he decided to go to the bow and as he tried to go around the cabin, he slipped and went over board. It was just too funny and he deserved it. Especially after the captain told him to remove the weight belt.

I can't count how many times I watched someone take a giant stride off a boat and then totally embarrassed have to ask someone topside to hand them their fins...:)

I did the forgotten fin trick off of a boat once. I could have sworn I had them on I even shuffled sideways to the backroll point, I swear I saw them on my feet during the backroll. Naturally I noticed they weren't there when I took my first kick :) The DM was going to have me get back on the boat to put them on :rolleyes: I told him to hand them down since the water was calm, I didn't even put down my camera while donning them. I must have been narced on the boat right? After all it was late in the week on a dive trip and I had a lot of built up nitrogen from all of the previous dives :wink: I really did believe my fins were on when I was looking down at my feet and side shuffling to the entry point.
Ber :lilbunny:

After doing some pretty aggressive diving on some multi day dive trips, days later when I went back and reviewed my log entries (usually because someone wants the info to record in "their" log) I noticed that after about the 3rd diving day that some of the entries were a little "off", even though I had recorded it directly from my computer...:)

Fixating on the safety level marked by a line tied of the stern of the boat with weights during a safety stop .. then completely forgetting that anything up current from the weights means coming up under the boat ... duhh.

Or letting go of the ladder while trying to get a stubborn fin off and realizing the currents dragging you off the boat and kicking doesn't help (uhh no fins!) nor does ... ahem ... using that damn fin as an oar :D Oh well, at least the drift line was there ...

I've forgotten fins and weight belt on occasion, but I always noticed it while my feet were up in the air in the middle of a back roll. A few month back, working for another company, I actually had a DM come up to me 5 minutes after he took the group down asking for his fins. I was kind of surprised it took him that long to figure it out.

later,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom