Style of Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider an Oceanic Pro Plus II or Sherwood Wisdom for a really big display. They're air integrated, and on a hose. I'm not even gonna touch the hose vs. wrist argument, which I believe can be concluded no better than the split fins vs. paddle fins argument. Me, I have a computer on a hose and on my wrist and an SPG ... full redundancy.

I too use the ProPlus2 - Big numbers mean easy to read.

Obviously it varies from model to model. My Suunto Cobra (console) was stolen and I can't say I was heartbroken for a number of reasons. I now have a Uwatec Galileo (wrist) which has three different display options.

You may wish to repost this question (slightly reworded indicating whether you need nitrox capability, price range etc, since I sense you are just lookingr something with a large display) in the "Computers, Gauges" section of the board rather than bsic scuba questions.

Can I ask you for your reasons against the Cobra?

Adam

Most computers are hockey puck designs! So the computer that goes into a wrist mount or console is the same computer, and has the same layout and size.

My Aeris epic is a watch sized computer but the numbers are easier to read than my Aeris Atom II which is a much large computer with bigger numbers. So part of the equation is not just size, but the quality and contrast of the screen.

My best advise is to go check them out at the LDS for yourself. If you don't plan to buy one there throw them a bone, and purchase SOMETHING for their time! :D Trade shows are a great way to see new products, but may not be practical to attend if they are not in your area.

You are asking about wrist vs. console. I go wrist for one simple reason: I need my left hand to control buoyancy, whether dumping air as I rise or adding it as I descend. If I am usinga console, it is typically also on the left. My left hand would be rather busy.

With a depth display on my right wrist, I can look at the display while controlling my BCD with my left. If I had to have a console, I would almost certainly have to be one of three people on the planet trying to put it on the right side without fouling my long hose.

That being said, another diver on a recent trip had his console clipped to the front of his BCD where he could see it hands free. He had the same explanation: He could look atthe console while dumping or adding gas. So...

I guess my point is to make sure that whatever you end up doing allows you to control buoyancy and read your depth at the same time with ease.

As far as being able to focus on displays, I installed a set of Dive Optx lenses in my mask so I could read gages, the dive watch, etc. It made a big difference, and a set only costs around $35 - $50.

Veo's(by Oceanic) have fairly large #s & letters.....

i have a shearwater pursuit that i wear on my right wrist and like the display. the numbers could be a little bigger i guess compared to the liquivision but ill keep it just like it is.

id go with a wrist because a console will get in the way and not be useful if you transition into tech diving

brett

I'm another Oceanic ProPlusII user. Can't imagine why someone would say it has no adjustments. Batteries last a long time and spares batteries are cheap.

You are asking about wrist vs. console. I go wrist for one simple reason: I need my left hand to control buoyancy, whether dumping air as I rise or adding it as I descend. If I am usinga console, it is typically also on the left. My left hand would be rather busy.

With a depth display on my right wrist, I can look at the display while controlling my BCD with my left. If I had to have a console, I would almost certainly have to be one of three people on the planet trying to put it on the right side without fouling my long hose.

That being said, another diver on a recent trip had his console clipped to the front of his BCD where he could see it hands free. He had the same explanation: He could look atthe console while dumping or adding gas. So...

I guess my point is to make sure that whatever you end up doing allows you to control buoyancy and read your depth at the same time with ease.

With a console you hold the console with the right hand and inflator hose with left when ascending. There really is no problem.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom