Sublimnos diving bell sold.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortinetly the lower section was left underwater for 40+ years in toby and finaly removed by parks Canada and trashed. New support legs will be fabricated to get her up off the ground so anyone wanting can view the inside. There were individuals and groups that made suggestions of buying her and displaying the bell in different locations across Ontario but that's all it was TALK with no cash or should i say not enough offerd to get the process going. The bell is in good hands and all that is needed to make her presentable will be done.

While I have no doubt that Sublimnos is in "good hands," the question remains - "Is she in the best hands?" I submit that Sublimnos's future would be best served by those who designed, built, & set her in place on the bottom in Tobermory, for all Canadians to learn from & enjoy. What better place than Toby for Sublimnos to be displayed? Visitors to the "Visitor Center" ( where she was to be displayed ) would have the opportunity to learn of her unique history, and the contribution she made to the advancement of marine science in Canada.

I urge the current proprietor of Sublimnos to contact me. I can put you in touch with the men who created her.

That would be the right thing to do.

Regards,
DSD

DeapSeaDan, I heartily concur. That would be the best place for her, and really, the only logical place. It would be a wonderful outdoor addition to the interior displays, and Tobermory is where she was was, and should be.

Agreed, Tobermory visitors centre is the most logical place for Sublimnos.

DeapSeaDan, I heartily concur. That would be the best place for her, and really, the only logical place. It would be a wonderful outdoor addition to the interior displays, and Tobermory is where she was was, and should be.

Thanks for your support guys. Perhaps some fund-raising could be done where enough money could be generated to get Sublimnos back to where she belongs.

It would be great to see her restored to pristine condition & displayed up at Toby.

Perhaps for the new owner, it may be just a matter of "how much."

Regards,
DSD

What is perplexing is how she languished unrespected for so long.

Perhaps for the new owner, it may be just a matter of "how much."

One can hope, but the cynic in me suspects the new owner has different plans simply because they are maintaining anonymity. Hopefully I am wrong.

I have no information on who bought it but based on the identity of the OP if I was asked to guess Alec Peirce, aka Seahunter, would be the first name that would come to mind.

Whoever has it will hopefully do the right thing and connect with fathom Five Park in Toby and bring her home. I dived around it a couple of times when it was submerged off Picton as a shore dive. Would look excellent outside the Visitors' Centre in Toby.

Greetings,

Looks like Mr. Ed Huth of "Dive Picton" is the new owner of Sublimnos. Apparently, he lives just down the road from Ducks.

Regards,
DSD

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

What is perplexing is how she languished unrespected for so long.

Yes, that is indeed unfortunate. I think it was a lack of sufficient available funds that made the difference. It takes the right kind / special kind of person/diver to donate a historical artifact back to the public domain. I fear these kind of folks are a rarity any more.

Regards,
DSD

Greetings,

Looks like Mr. Ed Huth of "Dive Picton" is the new owner of Sublimnos. Apparently, he lives just down the road from Ducks.

Regards,
DSD

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

Yes, that is indeed unfortunate. I think it was a lack of sufficient available funds that made the difference. It takes the right kind / special kind of person/diver to donate a historical artifact back to the public domain. I fear these kind of folks are a rarity any more.

Regards,
DSD

Maybe a few phone calls suggesting this gentleman to do the right thing and donate the historical artifact to Parks Canada in Toby are in order. It needs a paint job and roof to prevent it from corroding any further.

I'm sure he would get a tax ?credit/deduction for whatever he paid for the item.

DirectNIC Hosting
[url]http://www.pictonpaintball.com/

[/URL]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom