Sudafed in Cozumel with prescription?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, their law prohibits it in the nation.
wow. isnt that interesting. i never knew this.

any idea how long has this law been in place?

we have always carried either sudafed or another cold/flu product that contains sudafed on vacation. i guess we will have to make sure to leave it behind next trip.

so what do others recommend using as a substitute?

Can you bring sudafed into mexico , Cozumel if it is prescribed in the pill bottle?
is this what you read? if it is, the way this is written sure seems to indicate you are in fact allowed to bring it in with a prescription if you follow all the rules that go along with it.

"It is illegal to bring into Mexico some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

Import medicines for personal use to Mexico

Passengers traveling with medications for personal use will be authorized to enter Mexican territory only if they have a medical prescription or a letter from their doctor that mentions the amount of substance necessary for the patient during their trip to Mexico, the amount that the patient will take to Mexico and the daily dose.

At the point of entry into Mexico, you must report to the customs authorities and present the medical prescription issued by the competent authority. Said document must bear the name of the doctor who authorizes the prescription, his/her signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional registration. The amount of medication you carry during the trip should not exceed the amount needed for your stay in Mexico. The medical prescription must be translated into Spanish.

Medications must be placed in hand luggage, with their respective boxes and in transparent bags.

Before transporting medicines, we advise you to contact your airline."

wow. isnt that interesting. i never knew this.

we have always carried either sudafed or another cold/flu product that contains sudafed on vacation. i guess we will have to make sure to leave it behind next trip.

so what do others recommend using as a substitute?
When I was in Playa for full cave class in August, I took Flonase as well as a neti poti. The combo worked well for me. I have to take pseudoephedrine daily for allergies (at doc’s instructions) and have for years.

So yes you can but those requirements are very exact, not just a prescription but one that says exact dose and how much for your stay in the country, in Spanish and only that exact number of pills.

Just hope the customs official knows the actual law

The reason behind the law is that pseudoephedrine is a precursor in the manufacture of methamphetamine. It would be a good thing if the makers of the compound could figure a way to poison the conversion process that would not affect its efficacy or safety.

Several years. It's a complicated story dealing with the failed war on drugs in the US and attempts to stop the import of meth from Mexico, politicians doing what they do, Mexico's reply, etc.

is this what you read? if it is, the way this is written sure seems to indicate you are in fact allowed to bring it in with a prescription if you follow all the rules that go along with it.

"It is illegal to bring into Mexico some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

Import medicines for personal use to Mexico

Passengers traveling with medications for personal use will be authorized to enter Mexican territory only if they have a medical prescription or a letter from their doctor that mentions the amount of substance necessary for the patient during their trip to Mexico, the amount that the patient will take to Mexico and the daily dose.

At the point of entry into Mexico, you must report to the customs authorities and present the medical prescription issued by the competent authority. Said document must bear the name of the doctor who authorizes the prescription, his/her signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional registration. The amount of medication you carry during the trip should not exceed the amount needed for your stay in Mexico. The medical prescription must be translated into Spanish.

Medications must be placed in hand luggage, with their respective boxes and in transparent bags.

Before transporting medicines, we advise you to contact your airline."
That might work, altho you did not give your source, so I don't know. I avoid extra exposure to Customs.
So yes you can but those requirements are very exact, not just a prescription but one that says exact dose and how much for your stay in the country, in Spanish and only that exact number of pills.

Just hope the customs official knows the actual law
Yeah, it sounds like inviting trouble to me.
Does anyone know anyone that has been caught with Sudafed? What happened to them?
I started to mention earlier that I have not heard of anyone being busted other than some questionable news stories. The few times that I have had my luggage searched by Customs, they never looked in my backpack at my medicines, and I never pack those in checked bags.

The reason behind the law is that pseudoephedrine is a precursor in the manufacture of methamphetamine. It would be a good thing if the makers of the compound could figure a way to poison the conversion process that would not affect its efficacy or safety.
i guess ya cant stop bad people from doing bad things.

sudafed, like most medications, is a safe effective product for most people when used correctly.

if a country tries to limit the import by people carrying a small amount for personal use, they are wasting their time and resources. no one is going to open a meth lab in coz by bringing in a dozen pills. lol

we buy it at home but it is kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. no biggie.

whenever we have bought it in the usa (minnesota for example) they have a limit on the amount one person can buy. we also had to provide our ID and they recorded that information. i have no issue with that. it seems like a reasonable way to at least look like they are trying to control it.

Several years. It's a complicated story dealing with the failed war on drugs in the US and attempts to stop the import of meth from Mexico, politicians doing what they do, Mexico's reply, etc.

That might work, altho you did not give your source, so I don't know. I avoid extra exposure to Customs.

Yeah, it sounds like inviting trouble to me.

I started to mention earlier that I have not heard of anyone being busted other than some questionable news stories. The few times that I have had my luggage searched by Customs, they never looked in my backpack at my medicines, and I never pack those in checked bags.
my quote was from the u.s. embassy and consulate in mexico's website.

i guess ya cant stop bad people from doing bad things.

sudafed, like most medications, is a safe effective product for most people when used correctly.

if a country tries to limit the import by people carrying a small amount for personal use, they are wasting their time and resources. no one is going to open a meth lab in coz by bringing in a dozen pills. lol

we buy it at home but it is kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. no biggie.

whenever we have bought it in the usa (minnesota for example) they have a limit on the amount one person can buy. we also had to provide our ID and they recorded that information. i have no issue with that. it seems like a reasonable way to at least look like they are trying to control it.

Now in the USA it's prescription only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom