Sudan diving and sea conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been saving up for a two week trip on Don Questo but it seems there's only one such trip a year (first two weeks of june), at least as far as the Dutch agent is concerned: Desert Roos Duikreizen | Welkom op de website van Desert Roos Duikreizen.

I don't mind the summer heat, but would very much mind missing the big wildlife. Would this trip be too late for the 'shark season'?

Cheers,

Arthur

I've been saving up for a two week trip on Don Questo but it seems there's only one such trip a year (first two weeks of june), at least as far as the Dutch agent is concerned: Desert Roos Duikreizen | Welkom op de website van Desert Roos Duikreizen.

I don't mind the summer heat, but would very much mind missing the big wildlife. Would this trip be too late for the 'shark season'?

Cheers,

Arthur

Arthur

If you want sharks, go in the period of late march to mid may. I haven't personally been in june; but in march, april, july and august and march-april was a lot better. Early june could still be very good though... But it will be very hot on DQ. And as good a combination she and captain Lorenzo are (and I know they're very popular with the dutch crowd - I did a trip 5-6 years back with some countrymen of yours), I would hesitate to go much later in the year than may on DQ. Some even call her 'Il Forno' behind her back.

Sounds very strange that there are no more dedicated two-week trips. Over Easter for sure I would think. I bet the whole period of march-may is sold out/chartered by groups and clubs, and the only trip open for individual bookings through travel agents is the one in june. Your best bet of getting what you want is to try and get a group together and do your own charter. That's what I've always done in Sudan (and used to do in Egypt, before you needed minimum 18-20 divers to make it there). For DQ you don't need more than 12-14.

Good luck.

/c

Thank you for your answers.
I thought about a 2-week trip off Port Sudan or off Ras Ghaleb. But of course, I don´t want to do the the same trip twice. I would like to get to Angarosh and the famous sites for sharks.

On one week trips, boat operators offer the sites like Angarosh for a surcharge as well. When will customers decide about the itinerary?
Any recommendations for dedicated 2-week trips?
It is so much hassle to get to Sudan for 5.5 days of diving...
Yours,
Liberty

Thank you for your answers.
I thought about a 2-week trip off Port Sudan or off Ras Ghaleb. But of course, I don´t want to do the the same trip twice. I would like to get to Angarosh and the famous sites for sharks.

On one week trips, boat operators offer the sites like Angarosh for a surcharge as well. When will customers decide about the itinerary?
Any recommendations for dedicated 2-week trips?
It is so much hassle to get to Sudan for 5.5 days of diving...
Yours,
Liberty

Even though there are many reefs in Sudan, only 15-20 spots are regularly dived. So in reality there aren't a list of different itinerarys to chose from. The question is more if you want to hurry up and cover as many as possible, or stay a little longer on a few select spots. Sometimes weather (wind is a major factor) dictates what's possible. Normally the guests discuss among themselves and with the captain as you go along. You do want some degree of flexibility, because if a place like Sha'ab Rumi South is 'on', you might want to stay there an extra day instead of hurrying to the next reef. And it's hard to tell in advance which spots are going to be 'on', as it changes from trip to trip with currents etc.

A few years back, the classic one week trip from Port Sudan included Umbrea, Sanganeb, Sha'ab Rumi and sometimes Sha'ab Suedi (Blue Belt wreck) if the weather was good. This has changed with growing competition, and now a few boats also include some of the reefs further north like Angarosh, Abington and/or Quita El Banna on the one week itinerary, and Mesharifa in fall. However, as you might suspect, it will make for a somewhat 'rushed' trip, trying to cover all places in 5-6 days of diving. And a few of them really should get a couple of days attention, as they have more than one dive and some sites you want to dive more than once.

What can be done as an alternative itinerary, is to go south from Port Sudan and dive in the Suakin Arhipelago. Some great diving there as well, but very weather dependent as there are very few known spots for overnight anchoring. And for a first visit to Sudan, the classic sites are a must inmo.

So, conclusion: try to book yourself on a dedicated two week trip in march-may, either from Port Sudan on one of the boats reccomended in this thread or on the Royal Evolution from Ras Ghaleb in Egypt. Then you don't need to think about the itinerary - you can dive them all and have a few days to spare for those spots that are 'on'. Unfortunatelly I don't have the specific schedules of the various boats on top of my head, so you have to do some googling and asking around :)

good luck

Christian

Thank you.
Well, I found out that in spring, Angarosh is included in one-week trips on Sherazade and Royal Emperor anyway, but actually, Red Sea Diving enterprises (who offer most liveaboard cruising Sudan) offers only 2-week-trips off Port Ghaleb, and other agencies only offer 2-week-trips during Easter holidays.

Actually, I wonder whether one can also see plenty of hammerhead etc. on the classic route without Angarosh etc. and which dive sites are really not to be missed.
Actually, are the sharks aggressive, and what time of the year will the sea be the calmest?

Cheers, Liberty

Liberty

You can see hammerheads on virtually every deep water reef in Sudan, but some are off course better than others. Angarosh can be very good, but sometimes less exciting if you don't have the right conditions. Sha'ab Rumi South is normally a very good hammerhead spot. Sanganeb North also and sometimes (less usual though) the SW point of Sanganeb Atoll.

Sharks are normally not aggressive, but should off course be treated with respect. Baiting is still popular with some boats and will make the sharks (grey reef) a bit more aggressive.

The sea is calmest during summer months and early fall.

cheers

Christian

Thank you.
Do liveaboards in Sudan also use bait to attract sharks?
Which ones?
And by the way, how would you rate Sudan compared to other (tropical) dive destinations famous for hammerheads and other sharks.
Yours,
Liberty

1.4337479!img4337437.jpg

Don't go ashore in Sudan...

Norwegian and Swedish ingeneur troops were going to Darfur in Sudan this January. I will not happen, since the Sudanese government says we are secret agents for CIA and MOSSAD, and they don't want us there... :D

And for the not so funny, the situation is not stable. People are getting killed every day in a civil war like situation. I don't know how it's like in the open seas outside Sudan, but Norwegian operators haven't had trips to this area for a long time.

Was in Sudan Oct. '06 on Royal Emperor.

No problems with unrest as we only went ashore in Port Sudan. Sudan's problems are in the west of the country - and it's a BIGG country!

So no hassle with diving there.

BTW for me Qita el Banna was the best reef for colour and reef life. Shaab Rumi south only had Grey Reefs. Umbria was excellent. No hammers anywhere. Go to Mozambique for them.

Night dive on Shaab Rumi was good.

Enjoy

Seadeuce

Was in Sudan Oct. '06 on Royal Emperor.

No problems with unrest as we only went ashore in Port Sudan. Sudan's problems are in the west of the country - and it's a BIGG country!

So no hassle with diving there.

BTW for me Qita el Banna was the best reef for colour and reef life. Shaab Rumi south only had Grey Reefs. Umbria was excellent. No hammers anywhere. Go to Mozambique for them.

Night dive on Shaab Rumi was good.

Enjoy

Seadeuce

The Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir isn't all that quick in the head, and I presume it's the same government in Port Sudan as in the rest of the country? To be clear, he isn't very happy with the west, and us...

OmarAlBashir.com, Omar al-Bashir (Sudan)

You may do as you please. I wouldn't go there except without my military unit in service.

Back
Top Bottom