Suggestion of my scuba diving plan while in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ohhh sea scooter! Haha. I went to Taiwan in June and experienced some really good shore diving, but you put 2 tanks in the front of the scooter, wear all your gear, and then ride it to the site. I want to do photography too, can you manage a scooter and a camera?

Stupid question, why does Niihau shut down? Is early September no good then? I am arriving Oahu Sept. 1 and leaving Kauai on Sept. 14.

I will look for a place to stay on the south side of Kauai, hopefully not too expensive. :D

---------- Post Merged at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Are you committed to that schedule? 3 islands in 12 days kills a lot of time drying, packing, traveling. In trying to do everything you could wind up doing less.

Sorry I already booked flights so I cannot change, but I am probably going to skip diving in Oahu since I am there for such a short period. The other two islands I get 4 full-days each so I figure I could get 4-5 diving days in total between the two islands.

Are there any operators that do 3-tank trips on Maui? I only found it on Ed Robinson's but they only depart on Tuesday which won't work for me.

Lahaina divers does a morning 2 tank then right after that an afternoon 2 tank. That's the only other option besides booking a boat for a private charter that I know of. Not my favorite op on Maui. They kick pretty much the whole dive even after being asked to slow down after dive 1. Just my 2 cents.

I see, thanks.

Lahaina divers does a morning 2 tank then right after that an afternoon 2 tank. That's the only other option besides booking a boat for a private charter that I know of. Not my favorite op on Maui. They kick pretty much the whole dive even after being asked to slow down after dive 1. Just my 2 cents.

Is there any way to reach Kona to see the manta rays from Maui? Or do I must fly to Hawaii island? I read some people talk about manta cleaning stations in Maui but I am not sure if it's the same area of ocean they are talking about but just departing from different islands...

I want to do photography too, can you manage a scooter and a camera?
Most that do have a camera mount on the scooter. Shaka Doug has Torpedo scooters, they sell an add-on camera platform - and he does photography so maybe he has one.
If you arrange to dive with [user]scubahawk27[/user], he has Tusa scooters with saddles so you can ride them hands free.

Stupid question, why does Niihau shut down? Is early September no good then? I am arriving Oahu Sept. 1 and leaving Kauai on Sept. 14.
]Ni'ihau diving is going to shut down in late? September - After that the big waves start rolling in and the crossing is too rough.
I'd check with Seasport or Fathom Five about when their last trips are planned.

Is there any way to reach Kona to see the manta rays from Maui? Or do I must fly to Hawaii island?
It's 85 miles....and there's no inter-island ferry. Go Airlines often has cheap mid-week flights. http://www.iflygo.com/
I read some people talk about manta cleaning stations in Maui but I am not sure if it's the same area of ocean they are talking about but just departing from different islands...
The Manta cleaning station is off Maui. It's actually just offshore south of Lahaina. Manta Ray at Ukumehame | Maui Scuba Diving My buddy saw two off Lanai but even the DM said that's rare.

The Manta Night Dive is off Kona. They put bright lights on the bottom and the Mantas feed on the plankton caught in the lights. Sometimes upwards of a dozen. http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/charters2/mantanight.htm

As far as I know, Ed Robinsons is the onl operator that offers a 3-tank charter. We've seen mantas off the back wall of Molokini, but not regularly. The only place you come close to a "guarantee" to see mantas in Hawaii is on the Big Island.

Thanks. I guess I won't have a 3-tank day then :(

Hey DiveMaven are you a Zena Warrior Princess or you wear Zeagle Zena? :D

Scottitheduck - I am going to be in Maui in November and was there last year but only snorkeled. I think all of the dive companies in Maui are pretty good. I am going to use ProDiver Maui that leaves from Kihei. The Mokakini crater is must see. There is a pretty good shore dive with Prodiver from the Fairmont at Polo Beach. What you want to avoid is having to drive to Lahaina for a boat. Its a long drive at that time of the morning. Two great things for your surface interval. Have dinner at Mama's Fish House and have a
Ululani's Hawaiian Shave Ice. Its the number one rated eatery on the island. We loved Maui so much were planning on retiring there. Have a good trip.

I dove Maui last October. Stayed on the south side and the best shore dive I recommend is "nine graves". A circular route takes about an hour. You park & walk down the trail between houses, follow the lava flow out. Explore the caves. One big one you'll need to scoot to the side or bottom when turtles are coming in or out..then when the lava ends keep bearing left following the other side of the flow and take out at the public launch....(has shower there for rinsing gear & it's just a short walk back to get your car to bring back for the equipment). I also dove with Lahaina Divers & saw a Hammerhead & Galapagos shark on their Mokuho'oniki Rock trip...but that's pretty expensive, they use small tanks, and pretty much everyone, is guaranteed to get seasick. I never get sick but did on this one! (once you're in the water it's ok but topside is really rough.)

I think you mean "FIVE graves".... or Five Caves, or Makena Landing....all of those work for the area you're referring to. Personally, I like parking at Makena Landing and doing my entry and exit at the beach there. It's such a shallow dive that I can easily get a 90 minute dive out of an AL63 tank, and I agree, the caves are fun to explore, especially the bubble cave!

Back
Top Bottom