Suggestion on Trimix computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I didn't expect to need or want to dive deep but a cave i would like to explore is deep so here I go. I currently have 2 liquidvison lynx computers (one is for back up). Would like some suggestions as it looks as if the Lynx is not for Trimix. Not sure if i want another Liquidvision product but do like the coloured lcd screen. Any suggestions?

Although I not at the full trimix level, I have invested in a Petrel now for the tech stuff I am doing. Good computer, very popular, great customer service, and Canadian made.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2015 at 05:38 PM ----------

Hope he doesn't hate Canucks to much tbone being he is one. LOL

yeah, but he lives close to Calgary, so was figuring he was more likely to be a Flames fan than a Canucks fan, and it's a bit of a rivalry between those two teams.... though not nearly as much as I dislike the Habs

Tbone, I like you more and more.......
As said if you need a trimix computer the Petrel 2 is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the Shearwater Petrel is an excellent choice.

I didn't expect to need or want to dive deep but a cave i would like to explore is deep so here I go. I currently have 2 liquidvison lynx computers (one is for back up). Would like some suggestions as it looks as if the Lynx is not for Trimix. Not sure if i want another Liquidvision product but do like the coloured lcd screen. Any suggestions?

As much as I hate to say it, LV really isn't what you want for more advanced diving. I love the screen, the tap system is really intuitive, but they're not reliable long term and LV doesn't stand behind their products.

To be certain, you do not *need* a trimix computer (or any computer) to do deep cave dives. A computer with gauge mode or a simple bottom timer (uwatec digital depth gauge, for instance) works just fine. If you MUST have a computer, get a Shearwater or a SeaBear unit.

Oh, to echo a bit on what AJ said, if you're doing it with bottom timers, which is really not all that difficult for ocean profiles in trimix, bit less accurate in cave diving, but is what it is, the new Deep6 unit is going to be like $150, two button interface, bungee mount, and is a 3 gas nitrox computer with gauge mode.

That said, the Petrel screen really is nice....

I have multideco on my phone. I use it to validate my backup tables before I ever get in the water, and if I didn't own a petrel I would use the tables it generates in conjunction with my bottom timer. I even rocked old school (tables, bottom timer) at least once this year for a 240' dive because I forgot to pack a spare AA battery and I was on site without other options -- that system has worked for people for decades.

But since I own a petrel, I use that in the water. And I now carry plenty of spare batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom