Suggestion on Trimix computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as a Predator goes you can't go wrong with it either. One can be picked up for $450-$500 and used Petrels are usually $550-$625 from what I've seen.

My bad I read it as Canuck the nationality, not the hockey team. LOL I sit squarely in-between Habs, Senators, and Leafs territory.

Could I get away with one petrel and my lynx with tables as back up in the short term?

you can get away with that approach in the long term....

I agree. I know more than a few people who dive this way. Some cut tables and use the computer as the backup, and some cut tables and use the tables as a backup.

I'm very satisfied with my OSTC from Heinrichs Weikamp, very user friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I know more than a few people who dive this way. Some cut tables and use the computer as the backup, and some cut tables and use the tables as a backup.
The advantage of a computer on a deep tri-mix dive, even if you dive tables, is that you can get to the surface a lot quicker if you need to, or when the dive does not go as planned.

For example, a CCR diver and I were diving as a mixed team doing a hot drop on a 210 ft wreck in a strong current (about 4 kts on the surface and 2 kts at depth). The RB team mate made a much slower descent than anticipated due to issues with getting the PP02 down in the loop, with the result that we drifted past the wreck before we got deep enough. With a computer, it's an easy process to abort the dive and surface after a much shorter than planned bottom time. Without a computer, you're either doing a serious amount of non-required deco (and actually on-gassing on the most of the stops), or you're pulling out wet notes and figuring out a new plan on the fly.

Similarly, if you have some sort of failure or emergency, a computer gives you a minimum time plan to get to the surface, and it's available right now, with no need to divide attention between the failure/emergency and re-planning the deco schedule.

----

For decompression cave dives, I'll do the gas planning based on the expected cave profile, and deco schedule. However I'll carry two computers as it's very difficult to revise a multi-level dive plan if you turn the dive significantly early, particularly, if you're busy with other issues, in a silt out, etc.

The advantage of a computer on a deep tri-mix dive, even if you dive tables, is that you can get to the surface a lot quicker if you need to, or when the dive does not go as planned.

For example, a CCR diver and I were diving as a mixed team doing a hot drop on a 210 ft wreck in a strong current (about 4 kts on the surface and 2 kts at depth). The RB team mate made a much slower descent than anticipated due to issues with getting the PP02 down in the loop, with the result that we drifted past the wreck before we got deep enough. With a computer, it's an easy process to abort the dive and surface after a much shorter than planned bottom time. Without a computer, you're either doing a serious amount of non-required deco (and actually on-gassing on the most of the stops), or you're pulling out wet notes and figuring out a new plan on the fly.

Similarly, if you have some sort of failure or emergency, a computer gives you a minimum time plan to get to the surface, and it's available right now, with no need to divide attention between the failure/emergency and re-planning the deco schedule.

----

For decompression cave dives, I'll do the gas planning based on the expected cave profile, and deco schedule. However I'll carry two computers as it's very difficult to revise a multi-level dive plan if you turn the dive significantly early, particularly, if you're busy with other issues, in a silt out, etc.

If you've got a good handle on how deco time relates to bottom time, its a non-issue to abort a dive early. Case in point, Brian and I hot dropped on a ~250' wreck in south florida. Missed the wreck and had to terminate the dive WAY earlier than we expected. No wetnotes came out and no need to do the planned ascent schedule.

Similar with cave stuff. Without a handle on the deco you're likely to encounter, I think you're behind the 8 ball before you even get in the water. 0 computers or 10 doesn't make up for lack of functional knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom